What can I do about diarreah in my 2 week old?

My 2 week old baby has diarreaha. He has had it for about a week now. His poor little bottom is sooooo raw because of it. He screams when he uses the bathroom. The doc switched him to day from similac advance to isomil..soy based to see if that solves the problem. I have been putting desitin on his bottom and I stopped using wipes..I use a soft warm cloth to wipe him until it heals some. Is there something I haven't tried? I would really like to clear his bottom up ALOT, but with him having constant runs, I am afraid it won't heal anytime soon. HELP please!!!

tjanae80

Asked by tjanae80 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try pedialite. only 2 oz at a time though
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 7:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My grandson had a bad rash and they had my daughter put Mylanta on his bottom.... it worked overnight....
    Angeedalet

Answer by Angeedalet at 7:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• get away from Destin(It stings). Try Balmex. And is there DHA in his formula? If so get one w/out it. It can often cause diarrhea. You know though it's not too late to breastfeed. Google relactation
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• pedialyte is a good answer.. I would also let his little bottom breathe. If you can watch him closely, let him go without his diaper for a period of time during the day. This will reduce the wetness on his bottom from already using the diaper, and allow the skin to breathe. Hope it helps!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Like the previous poster said, let it breathe. My daughter got a rash while in the NICU and the nurse there said to let it breathe. Its just messy so, be prepared.
    StaceeyL

Answer by StaceeyL at 8:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• my doc said the Bordaxs butt paste is the best for rash and irritation...you can always try tummy drops they don't do much good but it eases alittle bit of their pain
    Anonymous

• similac alimentum is what our doctor just switched us too
    hotangel5496

Answer by hotangel5496 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My baby still has runny poop (EBF). What is teh difference b/w dirahhea and runny poop?? Anyway look into an organic formula if you are not going to breastfeed and also try Burts Bees Diaper Creme. You might also want to check out cloth diapers or G Diapers if your LO has really sensitive skin. 7th Generation diapers do not have any chlorine in them.

You baby is little so do not put a diaper on him...let his little hiney air out-put the heat up a little higher and just cover him w/ a blanket.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2008