Have you ever dyed anything in your washer at home?

I have a black/gray/white bathroom. My grey and white towels are kinda hurting (color-wise...not condition-wise) and I think they need replacing. Before I go shopping I was thinking of dyeing them black. I just watched one of those home remodeling/redecorating tv shows and they dyed window treatments black. They looked great. But in the past I heard dyeing at home could be very messy and difficult to get out of your washer.

Anyone have experience with this?

p.s. I should add that I'm a recovering "craft-o-phobe" as I have not one single creative bone in my body and don't have confidence in trying things like this...but I'm trying to over-come it!

DivaDynamite

Asked by DivaDynamite at 8:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I've dyed things in my washer plenty of times, and it's my favorite way to dye things. Grey-and-white towels will take a LOT of dye, and you'll probably end up with black-and-greyish colored towels (the black dye over white tends to come out a sort of greenish black if the amount of dye is insufficient; it's easier to get good, dark black over a darker color.) You need to get a really good idea of how many pounds of towels you're talking about before you go buy dye—you don't want to use too little. Once you know how much you really need (they say to use twice as much for dyeing light fabrics to a dark color), you can figure out how expensive the dye will be.;
    After dyeing, you'll want to follow the directions on the dye for cleaning your washer, and you'll want to manually clean some areas on the outside of the washer, around the door. I've found that an all-purpose cleaner with bleach is the most effective for this.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thank you!
    DivaDynamite

Comment by DivaDynamite (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010