Who needs wikileaks...Wanna know a secret?

A huge unmanned rocket carrying a secret new spy satellite for the United States roared into space Sunday (Nov. 21) to deliver what one reconnaissance official has touted as "the largest satellite in the world" into orbit.

The giant booster – a Delta 4 Heavy rocket – blasted off at 5:58 p.m. EST (2258 GMT) from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Base in Florida carrying a classified payload for the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office. [Photo of the spy satellite's dazzling night launch]

"This mission helps to ensure that vital NRO resources will continue to bolster our national defense," said Air Force Brig. Gen. Ed Wilson, commander 45th Space Wing, after the successful launch.

The satellite, called NROL-32, launched after a series of delays from technical glitches. The most recent glitch, a pair of faulty temperature sensors, thwarted a Nov. 19 launch attempt.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm fairly sure they wanted the world to know this for a reason. It's more dog and pony show.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I bet it isn't really a secret. Especially to those who live in the area and military personnel.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I used to work in military intel. My dh still does. Keeping our secrets secret is a big deal to me. But, honestly, this article doesn't say anything that shouldn't be said. The fact that they launched a satellite isn't going to be a big secret to anyone that would be doing any sort of monitoring. That it was large is also not going to be a secret, either.

It doesn't go into what sort of recon it will do, how accurate it will be, what sort of controls they will have over it, as far as being able to aim it, or if it will be in a sort of locked orbit, etc.

By releasing it, they have been able to basically do a "spin control" - what could have triggered a bunch of speculation (they can't hide a launch like that, and "they won't say anything about the payload - wow - what is it") is now pretty boring routine story (ho hum, they launched another satellite, yet again...) kwim?

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:05 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• cont

It's sort of like the Secret Service. We know they're there, the fact that they are is pretty open, and we even see them doing their job (how often have we seen agents with the Pres, for example). Just because the govt is very open about that doesn't mean that the full extent of what they know, how big the area they're covering is, or where they ALL are....

Sometimes, the best way to keep a secret is to hide it in the open :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have to agree with sailorwife. She put it quite well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Am I the only one that got a picture of Elmer Fudd? "Shhhh be verwwy verwwy quiet..." Sorry, a little slap happy today.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't understand announcing to the world, yea, we are sending up a secret spy satellite

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• makes me wonder just who they are spying on.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I didn't get elmer
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2010