What do you think about the new full body scans vs. pat downs at airports?

Obviously, they're both invasive. It's unfortunate that our world needs something like this. I don't want anyone using such high tech scanners to see every part of my body, but I think looking at it is less invasive than feeling it.

What are your feelings? Are you flying this season? What will you choose?

DivaDynamite

Asked by DivaDynamite at 8:55 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Travel

• I'm not really concerned about the pix being identifiable as me, or who might see them; but I am concerned about the low level radiation. We get so much of it from various sources, and the cumulative effects aren't well studied. Fortunately, I won't be traveling anytime soon, so I don't have to make a decision between "the scope or the grope", as I like to call it.

Other countries, with equal or greater security concerns, don't seem to be having the issues we are. Maybe, instead of inventing a new (and somewhat problematic) wheel; we should duplicate what is working well elsewhere.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Would rather have the full body scan over the pat down.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I am flying in February and will choose the pat down. There are no studies on the effects of the scanners. Although they say the pictures are delted, who knows if they really are. So someone would have all my information and a naked picture of me? No thanks.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would rather be scanned than patted down. I am not traveling this holiday season, but the last time I was in Europe, I was double screened in Germany. Not sure why, I think My shoes beeped! But it felt weird, like I had done something wrong, I understand the reasons behind all of it, and agree. I want everyone that is on my flight safe, but I think the pat downs are a little much.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh scan me. Really, I am not worried about someone keeping a picture of my skeleton but I would not like someone feeling me up
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Won't be flying anytime soon. I refuse to give up freedom for perceived safety.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Good point, Shanna84. Didn't even consider the health effects. And I'm having a warped image in my head of when the cops pull up a person's record/file in a traffic stop or criminal investigation (like of witnesses, etc) and they not only get your age, address, criminal and employment histories...they get the pics, too. Yikes.
    DivaDynamite

Comment by DivaDynamite (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It's not your skeleton. This is a photo of a woman's scanned  body.

Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• This is what the pics look like? Holy cow. Why do they need this? Wouldn't a skeletal picture tell them if there's something hidden? I mean, this doesn't show anything hidden in any cavities. How is this better for security purposes? Where did you find this pic?
    DivaDynamite

Comment by DivaDynamite (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You can look these pics up on the internet. So apparently not every picture is getting deleted. They had a pic of a man on the news the other night. They actually had to blur out his genitals.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2010