How does it make you feel when you're at the bus stop with your child and other kids are standing out there cursing?

ILOVEMYBOYS704

Asked by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Any time I see kids out in public acting in ways I don't want my kids acting, I just use it as a teachable moment to talk to my kids about that behavior and why it's not acceptable.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We homeschool so don't have this issue. However if I were put in that situation I would correct them. If they continued to do it I would bring it up to their parents.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Are you the only parent out there?
    Call the school - they are considered to be on "school property" when standing at the bus stop.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have no idea if the kids curse at the bus stop. I don't go out there. There aren't any parents at the bus stop, just the kids (1st-5th grade) so I imagine it happens. If I found out my kids were doing it they'd be in trouble and if I were out there I'd probably tell the kids to knock it off because it's not polite (especially with the 1st graders around). But it's a small town and everyone knows everyone so I could find out where they live and talk to their parents if it became bad or they threatened me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:49 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• well, our bus stop for our child goes frm our gated military neighborhood of post to main post, and it is right at my door! Myson sit on the porch untl the bus comes! When children around here are vulgar, and rude, I confront the parents, and BTW the bus stop hee is NOT considered school property!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't think I would get so bent out of shape over something like that. I give my child enough credit to make his own choices. I explain, when he says something I am not fond of, why I am not okay with it and I explain how if I hear or am told he has said it what will happen as a consequence. I believe in allowing him to make those mistakes that, in all reality, are not really a big deal. It is normal for kids to experiment with profanity and choice words. I did when I was younger. My good friend, who is very conservative today, had a potty mouth in middle school. Hard for me to believe now so I'll have to take her word for it. I certainly don't believe in sheltering my child. Dealing with the kids using "bad words" certainly prepares him for the real world where people do use those words to express themselves. He can choose not and learn how to interact with those that do.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i agree with pp
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010