Have you ever been to marriage counseling?

What goes on? How much does it cost...generally...I KNOW it would not be the exact same...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• They ask each of you to talk about how you feel without the other interrupting. Then they give you ways to better communicate without the other person feeling like you are attacking.

They are a unbiased 3rd party that hears even what you don't say.

The cost varies. We went to a pastor and it was $50 per session.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We went to our counseling on his old Navy base. So, we did not pay anything for 10 sessions. We did not finish it though. It did nothing but make things worse. Maybe because we are naturally uncomfortable around those type of ppl :)
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 9:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes- best thing we have ever done.
    Ours was about $100/hr.
    You take turns saying how feel, controlled environment.
    isabellem

Answer by isabellem at 9:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes, our church paid for it but it was at a private therapist. She gave us each a turn to talk about what we thought the main problems were, then she asked to have a session alone with me where she and I talked - I ended up leaving him. But the counseling made me really see him for who he was and that things weren't going to change.

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It was 12 visits covered under my insurance, but only I went. My ex didn't go.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• two times
    then therpaist called me on phone and said some very distrubing things about him to me, adviced me to leave, not let him alone with our child, said he had no sexual boundaries etc etc etc- scary!
    anyway, was covered under his insurance, do not know cost

good luck

i think my situation was extreme, do not think many times a therapist calls one of the people in couples thing and say "worried for your safety-leave him-get a lawyer- do not let your child unsupervised with him
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thank you guys....our problem is not extreme at all....just think an unbiased 3rd party might help us.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010