im afraid my 10 month old isn't going to make it to 12 months in her infant carseat

the straps are set on the highest level, and they seem to pull down on her shoulders. i can loosen them, but she's still too tall for it almost. her feet stick out past the edge of the carseat. she was 19.6 pounds at her 9 month checkup so im sure she's closer to 20 if not there yet. here in florida, the law is 20 pounds AND 1 year. but she looks so uncomfortable in it and almost too big for it, she can get away with it for now uncomfortably but i really don't see her making it to a year. at the same time though, she's not that tall.. only about 28 inches. i dont understand why she's too "long" for her carseat considering she's only in the 50th percentile for height. would it be horrible of me to switch her to a 5 point front facing seat within the next month?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The ladies are correct. Get her a convertible. My son didnt make it passed 8 months in his infant carrier height wise. I moved him to a convertible rear facing. Hes going to be 17 months saturday and hes still happily rear facing. The law is 1 year and 20lb, but the recommendation is 2 years and 30lb minimum, and they are trying to make that the new law as we speak. They just arent safe forward at 1. so to 2 and 30lb atleast he will stay rear facing. If you awnt more info on this topic message me or visit the carseat safety group her on cafemom.com.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't switch her forward facing but you can move her to a convertable seat that is rear facing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would buy a convertible car seat (one that can be rear faced and then converted to a forward facing car seat). Most babies out grow their infant car seat by 6-8 months. My son out grew his by 4 months so we used the convertible car seat.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:23 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• There are tons of carseats that aren't infant seats that are safe for rear facing - I don't know of many kids that stay in their infant seats until a year old. I wouldn't switch my kids to forward facing until at least a year, three of them were RF way past their first birthday - it's much safer for them!

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Previous posters both took the words out of my mouth. My son outgrew his infant seat as well by around 7 or 8 months. The convertibles are great and most of them have a feature where you can tilt the seat so they are slight reclined like they would be in their infant seats
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Just make sure get the convertible kind. Not all are made for rear facing or for children that small. My sons both outgrew their infant seats by 6 months, so they were rear facing in a convertible seat for the rest of the time, regardless of the fact that they were 20 pounds at 9 months!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have 5 kids and I've NEVER had one of them make it to a year in their infant seat.  My oldest 2 were in it until 4 months each (they outgrew the length), my other 2 were about 6-7 months (but the one was shorter than the first 2 and the 2nd had a different seat that had higher limits).  My youngest is 4 months and his seat goes to 35lbs and 32".  He's already 25" long so he's not going to make it to a year. He's only got one slot left for the straps.

After the infant seat they go to a rear facing convertible seat.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yea, I dumped the infant seat ASAP. I hate those things. My 20 month old is still rear facing in his convertible seat.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• wow, you would think after having 3 kids (she is my 3rd) i would know about these convertible car seats? but i dont! i always kept them in their infant seats and switched them at a year and 20 pounds lol. definitely going to have to google this! thank you!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• WOW
    deevega

Answer by deevega at 1:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010