Split classroom....

Daniel (8) is in a split 2nd and 3rd grade class this year and so far so good! Anyone else done this? what do you think are the pros and cons?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 9:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son was in a split 3rd/4th grade AG class last year. Other than for the last 1/2 hour of the day when the AG teacher came in for some additional "thinking" time (in addition to her pullout time for the regular AG kids, the kids in this class were the "higher thinkers"), they were never in the classroom at the same time. The 4th graders went into another 4th grade class for social studies, science and specials (media, tech, PE, music, spanish, and art), and then they had english and math while the 3rd graders were at lunch, recess, or their specials. So there were no cons, the pros were the smaller class size and the additional AG work.

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My kids never have been but I was in school.  Not for any academic reason, though.  I just went to small schools and there weren't enough kids to justify 2 classrooms so they mixed us up.  In 2nd I was in a split 1st/2nd grade class.  I was so far ahead of the kids in reading that I had to walk down the hall to the 3rd grade classroom and take their advanced reading course (for the 3rd graders reading above their grade level).  Then the next year I ended up in a split 3rd/4th grade class which made reading easier for me, I just had to walk to the other side of the room, lol.  Our teachers always taught us seperately for most stuff.  The only things we did together were art and stuff, otherwise we did grade specific courses.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I was in a 2/3 split in 2nd grade.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• my dd 13 goes to a very small country school that a has mixed classes for the upper grades and we love it she get so much more help in very way
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• each grade has a spli class, but I opt out of it, you have that right!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have not heard of this but from the answers it is more common than I thought.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• As a teacher it was my worst nightmare come true. I had twice as much planning to do and twice as much documentation. But... for the kids it worked out well. Kids don't fall into certain levels just because they are in a certain grade. Sometimes they can work closer to their own level when they are with kids of different ages.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My son is in a multi-age classroom.... 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. They have 3 teachers, a teacher aide, and a special ed teacher. All are very involved with all of the kids. The kids split into groups for grade -related learning, however, the kids all have the opportunity to really get to know the other kids, as they are in with them for up to 3 years. Extended projects are done together. Highly recommend it. And, the kids do work at their own paces. Each child has their own gifts, and can learn from, and teach one another :)
    momtomatthew02

Answer by momtomatthew02 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 23, 2010