Where did the Thanksgiving menu come from?

It seems like almost everyone makes the same things. The stores are all displayed with the typical Thanksgiving foods. Like...how did cranberry sauce and green bean casserole come into play, lol? I don't know about you guys, but Thanksgiving might be one of the only days of the year when I eat cranberry sauce, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• I mean, of course I know the whole story of Thanksgiving, but does it actually say anywhere what foods were eaten? I'm not sure they had cream of mushroom soup back then, haha!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I will NOT eat cranberry sauce no matter what day it is... I think the menu items come from generations of people making them... Over the years they look at the most popular selling items, certain times of the year, and that's where the demand came from. Just a guess. I for one don't eat anything with cream of mushroom soup in it, yuk. I like to think out of the box, you can have a lot of the classic dishes, but make them from scratch, they taste so much better...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Cranberries are one of only 3 "commonly marketed" fruits indiginous to the US. So more than likely pilgrims used them. As for greenbean casserole (barf I might add) that is for sure a new addition. I saw a special on the original TG meal, and it is sorely lacking in flavor lol. I doubt many would eat what they had now days.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2010