What really works to enduce labor????

I've tried pineapple, sex, & I've walked so much that my feet swelled up lol.
I'm 4 cm dilated & have braxton hicks but no water break or anything.

Chelsdavis

Asked by Chelsdavis at 10:10 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just because you are four centimeters, doesn't mean you should be trying to induce labor. I was five cm for 5 weeks or so. And my son was in the NICU for 14 days because he wasn't ready yet. Just wait and relax. Doing all these antics will leave you sore, tired, and frustrated. If your doctor thought it was time, he/she would have done something. Baby will come, when baby is ready.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Pitocin....If your body isn't ready for labor then there is very little you can do. Chances are your "braxton hicks" are start of real contractions. Nipple stimulation does bring on contractions, but that doesn' mean you will go into full on labor. Best of luck sweets!!!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• BTW nipple stimulation can be very dangerous and cause contractions that are very long and hard, and do not dialate the cervix, and can cut off oxygen to baby.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The answer your title question: baby being ready. Seriously. Even artifical methods of induction fail, and they will either send the mom home, or more often than not they will just give a c-section for "Failure to Progress." The only thing that will kick start labor is baby secreting the hormones that signals it is ready to sustain its own life outside of the womb. Sorry.....but jsut relax. The more you stress, the longer labor will take to be brought on, because high levels of tress tells baby its not safe yet on the outside. Go get a pedicure, take naps, take a warm bath, have hubby give you a full body massage.....it will happen in due time.
    MammaRed

Answer by MammaRed at 10:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Nothing is garunteed. What works depends on the women, the pregnancy, and just generally the body. You can try everything under the sun and still not have it effect you at all. Sex, Squats, and long walks are the more proven methods though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Flat out inducing for me. At 41 weeks with my first they had to do everything from inducing me to breaking my water. Then my 2nd I had to be induced at 42 weeks 3 days and also had to break my water.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• sex was what finally worked for me. None of the other things worked.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 10:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I just heard eating eggplant. My hubby bought stuff to make me eggplant parm for dinner. I heard it works within 36 hours but I don't know yet. Things that work for me...might not work for you...and vice versa. It is really in when they are ready to pop out.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• sit down and watch the clock tick away
    sometimes you will have to watch the clock for many, many days, but after time, baby will come-works everytime
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Patience.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2010