what is a 2 year olds facination with the dog dish?

My two 2 year olds won't stop playing with the dog dishes. even when they are empty. I think it is so disgusting.

hodgkinrus6

Asked by hodgkinrus6 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had a child I use to babysit when I was in college who use to eat the dog food. be thankful he is not doing that. lol
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 10:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• clean them up with bleach and water
    these are now your childs to play with
    get some things he can put in there and then into the other
    practice pouring, spooning , play with in different ways, maybe cars rolling around them, maybe use as hats

the dogs can have new ones, try to make the new dogs ones boring ones

does your child seem stuck on any other items, any other things he does over and over?? if not-no worries, if he does seem stuck on certain things talk to your ped and get referral to another doctor who works with kids in spectrum
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• pick up the dog dish. Kids will touch any thing! it just a kid thing, next year when he turns 3,he will do better.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Mine all did that. I just took it away and told them no. It wasn't really hurting anything, and it's better than the toilet. They move on to something much more fun after awhile anyway. My kids are all still alive too! LOL
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Mine all did that, and it isnt disgusting! I mean dog food has the same ingrediaents as hiuman food, the dish wonthurt them! I am a clean freka and wash my dogs bowls every 2 days! So maybe try that
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My 1yr old is the same way I think its just because its in there reach and its something to play with....it seems like the more of a deal you make of it the more they want to play with it its because they see a reaction from you and are testing the limits best thing is if possible put in a room they dont go in
    becky_barber84

Answer by becky_barber84 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• lol whats their fascination with anything? its all new and interesting
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Both my girls did that too. For a short time we had to put the dishes away when not in use, which the dog did not appreciate.

No we can keep them down and Sarah rarely messes with them. She does require that SHE feeds the dog and cat - I prepare the bowls and she puts them down for the animals to eat!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010