Do you think this is the best way to combat obesity in children? adult content

Arizona school district sends letters home about overweight kids

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailycaller/20101122/pl_dailycaller/arizonaschooldistrictsendslettershomeaboutoverweightkids

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 10:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it is a culture thing. We need to as a culture increase the veggies and fruits in our diet and eat at more realistic portions. So letters home is nice as far as education, but the school if they are trying to really tackle this issue, try making plenty of recess time, and serve balanced and low sugar& salt diets at school. And get ride of all the chocolate or strawberry milk. I mean why do the kids need all the sugar? And encourage physical activity not just sports. And PE should also be about how to live a healthy life style.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• .... I think the parents should already know this, though. The child should be getting annual exams, shots, etc by a pediatrician. The doc should, in theory, be doing that. It's not the schools responsibility. If the dr has told the parent the child is over (or underweight) and the parent neglects to make dietary changes, see a nutritionist, etc then IMHO they should be charged and have social services "assist" them.

Why should already swamped public schools be forced to play doctor now, too.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with hibbingmom that this is not the school's responsibility.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• it actually makes me sad for the students in the school ..... it'll likely take several days to weight/measure/graph everyone. that's time away from their studies and routine. and then the teachers, office staff, etc are taking time away from their lesson plans by having to formulate all the letters, paying to mail them, etc. boo. dislike.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• hmmm interesting. I just went to the Flagstaff school districts lunch menu. Every day has a fresh salad bar and fresh fruit selection. Their junk is VERY minimal and instead of donuts and poptarts for breakfast they serve low sugar cereals. It appears they're really dedicated to the cause. Now if only the parents would do the same!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:15 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I actually think the school needs to be involved, in my opinion people who allow their children to lead unhealthy lifestyles are neglectful! It should be againt the law to allow your child to be obese!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Unfortunately it can back fire. I have a four year old who hears so much about getting fat that he is very aware of what he eats. It breaks my heart. I find it ironic schools send home letters when they do not provide healthy affordable food to their students. So kids choose chips, high calorie drinks, pizza that is greasy, and fries loaded with cheese and ranch dressing. First, the public schools need to make a real effort to provide choices that are healthy and affordable - and truly skip the ice creme as an option for after the already fatty lunch.  Having the primary care physican handing out information and guides to healthy buying.  Moms and Dads are the nutritional gatekeepers every time we go to the store.  Commercials advertising fatty unhealthy foods should not be marketed to kids.  Having neighborhood and school family programs with an emphasis on moving and exercise is a start.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think sending a kid to school with a bologna sandwhich and a juice box in a brown bag could fix a lot...
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 11:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• And what about over weight teachers? This is a culture war. And it starts with professionals role modeling what is healthy. A big fat principal doesn't exactly lend itself to promoting a halthy lifestyle. Nor does a doctor who is large telling you to cut down. We have a responsibility to model from the top down. And the focus not to be on weight but on a healthy way of living and being active. God knows a lot of thin people are not healthy but because their body is thin we don't examine their health or choices. It is a serious crisis.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:51 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I also wanted to say that the high schools I went to served very heavy, gross, processed food. it probably isn't the only one in the country that considers french fries a vegetable and canned sugary peaches a fruit. Instead of this school wasting money on sending home letters, why don't they spend money on providing fresh fruits and vegetables to the studeents. I also think it was ironic that the children who always brought their lunch to school rarely were even remotely overweight, yet the majority of those who ate the schools food from k-12 were at least a little overweight.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 12:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010