Is it really ok to drink red wine during pregnancy?

Im preggers with twins and people are constantly telling me to drink some red wine and giving other unsolicited advice that really isn't comfortable...how to deal with know-it-alls when you don't want the help???

1stime4erytng

Asked by 1stime4erytng at 10:43 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I really don't know if this is true or not. I would just smile and say "Thanks, but i'd rather not risk it." Especially when dealing with a multiple birth, you wouldn't want to do anything outside of what your doctor is telling you.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I really try to trust my gut and not bother with anything that makes me uncomfortable, especially when I wasnt a big drinker pre-pregnancy!
    1stime4erytng

Comment by 1stime4erytng (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• when you are pregnant, some poeple think it is ok to tell that woman ANYTHING that is n their mind
    for the wine, if you do not what red wine, i would tell them hw the thought of drinking red wine makes you want to barf--make sure you make a barf face, and if they do not back down, go into detail about barfing- this will most likely make them back off this suggestion
    funy how the subject of barf will stop people from inssiting you eat or drink something

also, i found if you bring up God into a subject, most peole back off topic

as for the wine, i was told by nutruitionist that half glass once in awhile and when you have with big dinner is ok
    but was not told it was a benefit, just that it was not a huge no no, if drink in the middle of big dinner and only half glass once in a while
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:53 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I saw pregnant women in Italy sipping wine when I lived there. Then again, they didn't use carseats and held their infants in their laps in the front seat while on the highway.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have heard the once a week thing as well, I would not take the chance either, there is no definite answer on how much alcohol it takes to bring on fetal alcohol syndrome. I know there are many studies on drinking during pregnancy and they support each side.

This is my post from the last person that asked this lol. Good luck!
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I didn't want any alcohol at all when I was pregnant! Ugh. I'm sure one glass won't turn your baby into the hunchback, but I just don't agree with it either.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I personally wouldn't drink during pregnancy. It's hard, but ignore these people
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 11:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'd ignore them. I personally would not risk it. If I did drink once and something was wrong with my child, I would blame myself forever. Why risk it?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:52 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• NO! Ask your doctor this question to confirm.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010