Do they have a real reason to be upset?

Thanksgiving hasn't been a big deal to my mom in a long time. So when I was with my husband we always went to his parents and now that we are separated my son goes over there every year. So this year my mom decides to actually do dinner and now her and my sister are upset that my son is still going with his dad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• They can be upset all that they want to be. It's their feelings/emotions.

What they do not have a right to do is make you feel guilty for your actions. A pattern has been established and it seems to be one that you are comfortable continuing (which is really cool, btw.)

Tell them that you appreciate their efforts but that your son is used to going to the other side and is really looking forward to it. Offer a different day as your family's day of thanks instead. My husband's family was never much in to Thanksgiving as a day. They figured that everyone would be there for Friday night dinner, so why cook 2 big meals when one would do well. Maybe a Wed. night dinner before the other grandparents would cool their jets a bit.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh well, how does their new plans constitute your emergency?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I guess they can be upset...
    Your son has been doing this annually and they know this (I assume)
    Just tell them there is no reason why you should change his and yours routine
    just bc they choose to start something new...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2010