Am I wrong to be so mad???

I am a nanny and my boss has recently informed me that she is going to have her kids around a person who has chicken pox. They all have chicken pox shots and as we all know they can still get chicken pox. I have 2 kids myself, a 3 year old who has had a chicken pox shot, and a 4 month old who obviously hasn't. I told my boss she was nuts for taking them and exposing them to it and she said "I think it's better if they all get chicken pox now rather than later." I think that is absolutely ridiculous. She even told me she though my INFANT child would be better off getting it now too since we can just put gloves on her hands. WHAT KIND OF THINKING IS THIS???? Oh and she also let me know I could still watch her kids while they had chicken pox!!!!! Ummmmmm NO. I do not want my children exposed to it. Any advice from anyone how to handle this? I don't want to lose my job but I don't know what else to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Health

• I understand where she's coming from and wanting her to kids to get it over with, BUT she shouldn't expect you to put yourself and your children at risk. She should be understanding in the fact that you don't want your infant catching it...and I wouldn't want a baby that young to catch it either!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It sounds like your boss is misinformed about pox, because her kids cannot get it if they have had the vaccine already. If your infant were to get pox now, she'd still get it later because she can't build up an immunity to it (I know, I had pox at 6 months and 7 years). Truthfully, I would not want to watch these kids at all if I were you.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• sorry to hear that but I agree with you. I think shes acting ridiculous and only cares about herself. Yeah easy for her if you trat them during their chicken pox. And she doesnt even care about your children. Well you probably risking losing you job if you decline this. But I wouldnt want my 4 month old baby going thru this
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:00 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• While I disagree with how she is handling it in regards to your baby, she has every right to expose her own children if she chooses
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Your children should not be exposed to chicken pox until they are at least 2 years old. My husband is a nurse and he is not even able to GIVE the shots for it until our son is 2. And yes it is better to get it at a younger age. As you get older it gets worse. So there are a lot of people that will purposly expose their child to this....my mom did it with both me and my sister when my cousin had it. But just tell your boss that you will not be able to take care of her kids until they are over the chicken pox because you can not expose your child to that at this time.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:02 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• ballewai, you are slightly misinformed about the chickenpox as well. You can get them even after vaccination. Both of my boys, who are 7 yrs apart and had them separately were vaccinated. They had a less severe case. Their sister never got them. And not all babies who have chicken pox catch them a second time. You were one of the unlucky ones.

I understand where you are coming from OP, it is scary to think that your boss has a blatant disregard for your child's health. If you are nursing and have had the pox, the chances of your baby catching them go down. My youngest was exposed to them 4 times while nursing, had the vax and then got them a yr after the vax.

Unfortunately, you do run the risk of losing your job, and you cannot stop her from exposing from exposing her children (and therefore yours.) I'd also be glad that she warned you. Hopefully she will change her mind.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Honestly, if she wants to get her kids exposed to this, and the kids become ill, that is your cue to return to work when they are healthy.
    I don't know what the health department guidelines are for nannies, but if the kids can't go to school, and wouldn't be allowed in a public daycare, then you shouldn't watch them.
    Would you be caring for them if they had pneumonia? What about if the kids got the H1N1? Maybe this is a good time to sit down and make some boundaries. Just because you are a nanny does not give your employer the right to expect you to care for her children if they fall ill.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 11:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with her but she shouldn't impose this on you.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:45 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• What does your employment contract say with regard to illness?

If my child had chicken pox I wouldn't be taking to his child care provider, KIWM?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've heard that people intentionally expose their children, even go so far as to have parties with children that have chicken pox. My DS got them at 9 months (not intentionally!!), and it was really hard for the little guy. Do you have the option to not work until you know if they have them or not? I don't know how long the incubation period is, but your pediatrician should be able to help you out. There is a good chance that her kids won't get them (due to the immunizations), but again, your pediatrician can help you decide what to do.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2010