Does the cost of daycare outweigh/almost outweigh how much you bring home?

I haven't worked in 3 years since hubby and I decided it would be best for me to stay home with our kiddos. Our oldest will be starting kindergarten next year and I would really like to go back to work, however I will still have 3 young children to put into daycare. The estimated cost for all 3 is about $1500 a month, and I believe thats on the low end of it! Jobs around here are crap.. I totaled it up and even if I found a job working FULL time at $10 an hour, my income would be around $1600 a month. Totally NOT worth going to work and being away from the kids ALL day for an extra $100 a month (if that). I just don't know what to do! I am at a loss! We aren't in desperate need of the extra money, but let's just say it would really be nice to have so that we can start doing some extra stuff around here for ourselves. My hubby works hard to pay our bills and put food on the table but at the end of the month there isn't a whole lot left. I want to contribute in some kind of way but I just don't know how! How do some of you ladies do it? I wish it were as simple as going out and getting a part time weekend job or night job.. but my husband is military and isnt ALWAYS here and available to be home with the kids during that time.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• Same here i haven't worked in 4 years and i have 3 children but i would really like to start working again in the near future, so i calculated up the cost too. Where i live is kind of an expensive area so the most reasonable price for daycare that i could find would be 1650 a month uugh crazy and that wasn't even the daycare of my choice that was the cheapest i could find i am extremely picky when it comes to choosing the right place for my kids. I even talked to several daycare places that were hiring about me working there and if they would discount my kids but they all said they could only discount 1 at 15% off...so pretty much not even worth it. So right now it would definitely outweigh what i could be bringing home. My plan for now is to wait till my two oldest start school and then put my youngest in childcare before i start working again. Good luck to ya

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Have you considered getting a job at a daycare? Most give employees half off tuition and some even give free tuition.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:06 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• no, our daycare costs are only about 25% of my monthly salary (and I don't make that much)
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• That was a huge factor in me going back to work. I need a job that paid well and my earnings did not make up all of daycare. My husband is military too and I took a job on base as a contractor and it is going to pay pretty good. After all is said and done, daycare, before and after care is going to be about 450 every other week and after taxes, I will still have about a thousand left over. Look into DoL contracting jobs on his base.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes daycare out weighs what my salary would be. THe last job I was at I would have only made about fifty more dollars a week than what I would pay in day care. Its a tough choice either way. Good luck.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 11:08 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Ugh I know what your talking about....My husband is in the army and I was going to get a night job to try to help out and same thing over here....he is not always home at the same time so there is not way to work around his schedule. And childcare is way to much for us right now. Pluss all I would be able to get is a min wage job and that just wont cut it....I make and sell jewelry to bring in a little more cash but even then its not always that much.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:09 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Because of what I could have made at the time, daycare would have made it so we lost money on me working --quite apart from the cost-saving activities I could perform at home during the day when I had not used up all my energy working and commuting.

It takes a long time to prepare the cheapest foods available: dry beans, tough meats, whole grains, homemade baked goods, etc.

I'm in Canada, where the taxes made a difference, too --my husband would have been paying more tax, and I'd have been paying any instead of none, had I shifted from being a deduction.

The cost of work clothes might, in many jobs, be a null factor, but I did not own 'work' clothes for more than a decade --and had lots of time to sift through resale shops while I wasn't also working. It's impossible to quickly pull together a nice wardrobe in those stores as their product is unreliable, but it's possible with time.

Time is money, as they say.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• That's part of why I staid home full time with my kids. Our local daycare (there is only one) is $20 a day per child, which for 3 kids is $60 a day, but when you're only making $8 an hour before taxes... There simply isn't any reason for someone to work. And sitters are even worse, at least $10 an hour... I don't know how anyone can afford to work.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Sadly, this is a question that needs to be asked BEFORE the kids are born. We are a 2 career family, have always lived in expensive areas of the country and always knew that both of us would maintain careers while raising the kids. We put pen to paper and crunched the #s- in the 90s (kids are now 23, 20), our daycare for 3 days a week was 1000/month in the San Francisco area. We only paid/pay 2000/month for them to attend private HS and college a decade later. IMO, if you can not afford to pay daycare costs, you have TOO many kids for your salary. I am a nurse and was making roughly 35/hr in 1990- Yes, working PT absolutely was worth the added money, and now in my early 50's, I am semi-retired!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well said Sisteract.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2010