Why

is my 5 mo old son only taking 15-20 min naps. It is driving me crazy I cannot get anything done. I thought maybe it was just another growth spurt but this has been going on for over a week. And he is not teething either.

CarlieJS

Asked by CarlieJS at 11:21 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know it sounds aweful, but try putting him in a room where you won't hear him crying when he wakes up. At his age, while in the crib, he can't do much harm to himself, so you should be able to safely leave him for a while. It doesn't hurt to check on him from time to time if you need it for self-comfort, but rest assured in his crib he's safe. Then walk away, do the things you need to do. My son drove me nuts for the whole first year. He was a month preemie, and an emergency c-section. I felt like he'd been taken from me too soon, so for the first month or so, I didn't leave him. At all. After that, he wouldn't let me leave him because he'd gotten used to me being there all the time. If you keep responding to his cries every 15 minutes, you will never get anything done, and he'll never learn that it's ok to be alone. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Because 'getting things done' isn't on his mental map.

Have you tried putting him on and getting things done while he's awake? This has two main benefits: he gets the kind of close physical contact he needs to grow well, and you get to do things while he's active and alert --and rest while he's sleeping, instead of joining the already massive population of chronically-overtired mothers.

Find a sling, wrap or carrier that you find comfortable to work in, strap him on and stop waiting for him to go to sleep before you 'get things done.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thanks. Yes he is in his crib crying right now. He slept long enough for me to empty the dishwasher and load it again. Ugh. Now he is screaming!
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• That sure can be stressful. My one year old is still having sleeping issues at night as well- he wakes up 15-20 times a night for me to give him back his paci. I'm not getting any sleep. For your sons naps, is he in his crib, swing, bouncy... ? Do you play soft music, nature sounds, run a fan for noise... ? Does he wake up happy and smiley or crying (like he possibly has gas or a burp to get out)?
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I cannot function with him on me I have tried that :(
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• He could be in the early stages of teething... or just some weird phase. Lots of babies sleep like this from birth, so if he's just starting now, you're ahead of the game!

Do you have a sling or a wrap? Often they will sleep longer in those.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I went through the SAME thing with my youngest daughter. She wasn't the greatest napper, and no matter where I'd put her to sleep (crib, bouncy chair, swing, etc) she wouldn't ever take a decent enough nap (at least not in my eyes). I eventually bought a Moby wrap and just wore her around everywhere with me. It's not the most comfortable, and you do have to get used to it, but it made my life a heck of a lot easier once I got the different type of wraps down. Also, try getting a Bumbo chair and hauling him room to room with you where you can get stuff done, and he can be there watching you.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I know what you mean, to get sometime for yourself, try to do some of the chores while he's up, it could very be a growth spurt, Mine is doing little cat naps as well. To get sometimes for yourself, be sure to do some of the house work while he's up, that way he can also see that the norm in your household.
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I do leave him in his crib to cry I am a firm believer in letting them cry but only for about 15-20 min. He sleeps through any kind of noise he is a very hard sleeper we made sure of that from the start. and he sleeps all night. (he wasn't like this in the beginning but we have gotten up to it) but he has always taken about 3 hour naps just until recently. even 1 hour is better than 20 min as I know when they get older they will sleep less. He also plays well on is own while I am doing laundry or dishes or something for about 20 min before wanting to do something else and lately he won't even do that the minute I set him down he starts crying. And I do let him cry, I don't want him to get used to being picked up every time he cries.
    today it could be a gas bubble. I don't think he burped very well when he at before his nap. Thanks.
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Maybe he is about to hit a milestone like crawling? I would let him self-soothe when he wakes up. He may even go back to sleep? I wish you luck! It will get better!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:24 AM on Nov. 22, 2010