If you were PLANNING to have a child, wouldn't you quit smoking first?

This is not referring to unplanned pregnancy, in which I quit smoking anyway.

I see many people trying to have kids, but not trying to quit smoking. Then they smoke while pregnant and say the doctor told them not to quit because it stresses out the baby!

I have researched, and asked many medical professionals, there is no evidence that quitting smoking, or stress, hurts the baby.

This is hard for me to watch, because I have loved ones who were affected by this.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes this is a good idea
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• To every woman who has ever told me that she was told by her doctor that quitting was more stressful than poisoning a baby daily, I have only said this: how much does your doctor smoke?

Never ask an addict for an excuse to avoid quitting...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would. Anything an expecting mother can do to narrow the chances of complications or birth defects is worth the sacrifice! I am not a smoker, so I guess it's easy for me to answer that question
    smiles551

Answer by smiles551 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree - quitting before you even get pregnant is the best option because quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I ever had to do. I can't imagine what its like to be the baby in the womb of a mother who is smoking.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Would I? Yes. But do I expect that every other woman does? No. It's her choice. I don't have to agree with it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't smoke but I would ABSOLUTELY quit smoking first.

That being said there is actually a LOT of evidence that stopping smoking (particularly "cold turkey") during pregnancy can cause a massive spike in blood pressure which could lead to cut in oxygen supply to the baby which could lead to distress, brain damage and death of the unborn infant. It could also put the mother at severe risk of stroke, heart attack and eclaspsia.

Stress causes major rises in cortisol which has also been PROVEN to be dangerous at high levels to a developing infant. Large levels of cortisol can cause growth retardation in the unborn infant.

I agree with you that quitting is best, particularly if it's a planned pregnancy, and there are safe ways to slowly quit.

That being said...I don't know WHO OR WHERE you got your information but it's incredibly INCORRECT. This information is pretty easy to find.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Ideally yeah, you'd think that would be part of the planning. I feel the same way about extreme overweight women. I mean like obese. We know two different couples where the woman is extremely over weight that are trying to conceive, going as far as treatments to help. Not even working on the weight issue. Unhealthy diet, unhealthy habits, IMO you've got more to get under control before you bring a baby in. And why would a doctor not push it more. Same with smoking to me. Two different unhealthy things, same idea if you ask me.
    Anonymous

• Yes I started quitting the day my hubby and I decided to try and have a baby. Im not pregnant yet but I have completely quit smoking.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 11:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Anon.Where are your resources from? Until there is a valuable source it's all opinion. There are more sources that show the opposite.

Sabrina, I don't have a problem with a woman choosing to do what she wants to do with her child, but when it comes to hurting someone else, like and innocent child, then I do have a problem with it.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You want to tell me I'm incorrect but you have no proof. I'll you smoked while pregnant too.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010