Do you have a right to safety?

if so, tell me where it comes from.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you have a right to a reasonable assurance of safety, but we live in a time where people expect guarantees, and there just aren't any to be had.
    Where does it come from? Living in an organized society. I think that's part of the social contract. I agree to abide by the rules set forth by this community, and in exchange I expect to reap the benefits of living in that community. If one of the benefits of the community is enhanced safety, than I have a right to that benefit, just like any other member of the community.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Privacy and Due Process are insufferable political correctness?!?!?!

sidesplittinglaughterrolling on floor

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You have a right to maintain your own safety. The government has an obligation to keep the US as a whole safe from our enemies, BUT not at the expense of liberty of the people. This is a HUGE reason why we have the right to bear arms. I'm sure that none of those planes who have gone down on 9/11 in there were a plane full of Americans exercising their right to bear arms. In fact it was Isoroku Yamamoto, a Fleet Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War II who said, "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• sheloveearth

Law ENFORCEMENT does not PREVENT CRIME .... in fact, they CANNOT intervene UNTIL a crime has already taken place.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• IMO, we all have the right to have safety information, in order to make educated decisions for ourselves and our family. The information should come from product manufacturers, retailers, medical professionals and through our own research-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:38 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Are you saying that a police officer can not try to prevent a crime from happening? They can only be reactive and not proactive? Well I don't know what lovely little city or village or town you live in but according to your logic the police officers where I live must always overstep there boundaries . HMMM I think there will be so many people in my neighborhood now that will have a lawsuit! Oh Gal51 where do you go to law school? I was just wondering, some of these people might want to know your credentials.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 11:53 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Are you saying that a police officer can not try to prevent a crime from happening?

Yes! That is precisely what I am saying ... and that comes from the STATE Police Officer that was teaching me about my right to use lethal force if/when someone illegally tries to enter my home. They cannot PREVENT anyone from committing a crime - they can try to deter with their presence, but that cannot intervene until a crime has taken place.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• LMAOLMAO Yeah again that must be just where you live, or like I said police here overstep there boundaries. They have the authority to intervene and interrogate you if they suspect something suspicious! And they do that very often!

Lethal force is not a right in every state, you do not have the right to use lethal force when someone enters your home, if they break in and rob you, and you end up killing them you WIlL be charged with manslaughter and go to prison. However if a police officer sees a suspicious person walking down the street (not an illegal activity) they can stop them  and question them, and if they don't like the answers they will take you in to the station for more questioning.... (sounds like preventative measures to me). It has happened and will continue to happen whether you like to believe or recognize that or not.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• lol
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2010