If you lived or worked in another country, what do the people there like to talk about?

Are the conversations similar or different than here in the US?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work at a high school in Mexico, and the teachers/staff here pretty much talk about the usual that anyone I've worked with in the states talks about; family, co-worker gossip, holidays, their kids, the economy or any other political crap, etc. The only difference is they speak in Spanish =P hehehe
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:40 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I stayed in Australia and New Zealand for a month, which isn't a very long time, but I found it pretty similar to the US in a lot of ways. I think for the most part they're more satisfied with their government than we are. But I mean as far as every day life conversations it was very similar to ours. I'd be interested in what it would be like in countries like China or India.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• About the same as here: their families, gossip, current events. I did find that people in other countries are better informed about international events than we are in the US.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• That's true. I travel to Europe a lot and the people there are more interested in art and culture than in the US. They don't gossip a lot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They're more keen on current events and the arts, as opposed to gossip. Pretty much what riotgrrl said.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2010