my dishwasher stinks !

its just a year old. and ive checked it from inside.. there is no rotting food in there or anything. and the smell is not of moldy food. it's a really weird kind of stench. can't really explain it. i use cascade jell packs. could that be the reason?
its not the dishwasher that stinks.. my dishes smell have the same odor when they are washed.
anyone has any idea what could be the reason ?

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I don't use the gel packs....can't stand them. Run your dishwasher without any dishes - use baking soda in the detergent cup and vinegar in the rinse cup. Run quick cycle. Making a baking soda paste and wipe down the rubber seals and then rinse them off - just wipe with water.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh, and most dishwasher manufacturers do not recommend the gel packs because their ability to completely dissolve is dependent on your water conditions....if your water is too hard or too soft they won't dissolve properly.

My husband has been an engineer or engineering manager for over 16 years in the appliance industry. His current company recommends either Finish Powdered detergent OR the Finish Auto system that you put in your upper rack.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have the same problem and I also use the Cascade gel packs. Hmm, sounds like I need to do some experimenting.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:47 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Just to see if you can get the smell out try sprinkling baking soda around and in the filter looking thinga ma bob in the bottom then pour some white vinegar over it followed by letting it run a full cycle.. If there is anything in there causing the smell the fizz created by mixing the two should dislogde and also deoderize it as well.
    NativeMommy123

Answer by NativeMommy123 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Get a pack of lemonade kool-aid and use it in ur DW on an empty cycle and see if that helps. The acid in it is supposed to truly clean ur DW...but seriously...I would quit using the gel packs!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It could be something backed up in the pipes from the gel packs. Maybe they aren't dissolving completely and it's trapping dirty water in the outlet pipe?

Try the baking soda/vinegar combo OR you can try running it empty with a cup of bleach in the bottom.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010