My SIL is a slacker!

My brothers wife brings a cheap dish for TG dinner, and never enough to feed all of us. A Polish dish of gabage...what is that like 99 cents a head? My mom and I buy and bring all kinds of things to help defray the cost of such a big meal. BUT, when it comes to getting in line for the left overs, SIL is always first in line. My sis and I are starting to get irritated by this. We don't want family drama, but come on! How should we deal with her diplomatically?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:57 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ask her to bring something VERY SPECIFIC: 4 dozen white dinner rolls or 10 lbs boiled potato or 1/2 gallon turkey gravey. Make a list of what everyone is bringing, then send it to each family. It creates accountability, and then if she doesn't do her part, people will know.

For Left-overs, provide containers, pre-packed, according to how many people are in the family. Each person can take home a plate of food for lunch the following morning. Anything else left over can be taken back by the person who brought it...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• in the grand scheme of life, is it really such an important thing to make an issue out of?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I still think you don't, if she is asked to bring a dish to pass and does so, then I don't see the issue. If you feel it isn't fair because she pays less for her dish, then ask her to bring an additional item or two, like the bread and a pie
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It is an issue, when she takes half the left overs home. If she wants to go cheap, no problem, but I think she has this air of entitlement and I don't think it is fair to those of us going out of our way financially. As my question stated...how do we deal with this without drama?
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• tellher to bring extra, is she short on money?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well this is part of the problem. My sister is well off, but I don't think that is a reason to stick her with the whole deal. My mom and I are not even close to well off. My SIL is not poor, but cries poor, then shops at the Gap etc. She lives at the mall, yet cheaps out on Christmas gifts and TG meals. Yet is first in line for her hand in the freebies. I guess my sister will just have to insist she brings more rather than saying something about the left overs.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Maybe you could ask her to bring something. Call her and tell her you are trying to get everything together and you were wondering if she would rather bring mashed potatoes and rolls or stuff to make salads (lettuce, dressing, shredded cheese, etc.) Something like that would let her pick what she wants to bring and you will get to know ahead of time what she's bringing.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would cal her and say make sure you bring enough this time because the last couple times there really wasnt enough and everyone really enjoys it lol. That should make her feel happy. Or tell her exactly what you guys need help with maybe she feels you all have it taken care of and dosent know what she should do.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010