What would you do if you found out your babysitter broke your toilet seat?

This babysitter has been in my home twice to watch my son. I went into my guest room, which is a second master to clean in preparation for family that will be visiting soon. I then noticed the toilet seat was cracked on one side. All the way through. She is a big lady, so I don't know if it is possible she didn't know she cracked the seat. I am positive the seat was not cracked before. This bathroom doesn't get used much, I use it on occasion just to be sure the water doesn't get weird in the pipes. I was in there last week and the seat was NOT broken. My husband has been out of town, so it has just been me and my son and the babysitter in the house.
Either way, I wonder why she used that bathroom in the first place. There is a bathroom that is down the hall that she should have used. When she came to the house the first time, I showed her where everything was, and the bathroom I showed her was the one in the hall. I showed her the door to the guest room but didn't show her the room since it was a bit of a mess at the time.

Also, my son is 3, I never let him use this bathroom. I also keep a child knob lock on the door to this room to keep him out of it.  
So what would you do? Ignore it? Find another babysitter? Ask her about it? Any imput is appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would replace it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Replace the seat. They are pretty cheap. If you want to embarrass a "large" woman, then ask her about it. If you can afford to replace it yourself, just do so.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would probably let it go honestly. How old is your son? Could he have been using the other bathroom? Maybe she needed to go #2 and didn't want to stink up the other in case you came home or something? Seems like it would take more than someone just using the toilet to crack the seat also. :)

Anonymous

• I'd probably let it go ...... but look carefully for other signs of issues. Assuming she used it and broke it she is likely mortified. There's likely a logical reason, how old are your kids? Maybe she needed to use the bathroom but wanted some extra privacy,
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If you don't want someone in a particular room of your house, lock the door.

Chalk this toilet seat up to "wear and tear," but lock the door in the future.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh man...haha. what can you do?! She probably broke it and was too embarrassed to say so. You will really hurt her fwelings if you say something. Id just start locking the guestroom. Door if it becomes a problem...you know...unless she starts dropping nukes in your nice bathroom. Haha.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 12:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• SInce you did not see what happened you cant assume she did it. Since you dont go in there often you have no idea when it even happened.
    Anonymous

• Seriously, I don't know what the big deal is. It is just a broken toilet seat. Does it really make a huge difference which bathroom that she uses. We have had a new toilet seat break with just average size people using it - it does happen. I sure wouldn't get rid of a sitter over a toilet seat.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'd just fix it and not worry about it. I agree if you'd rather not have her using the guestroom I'd find a lock for the door and keep it locked while she's there.
    We had a girl babysit once and she ended up having a friend over without our knowledge, they busted the lock on our bathroom door and the hinge. I had to replace the door, because they riped the latch out of the door. (Needless to say she didn't get paid.) Basically they were messing around and the one girl locked herself in the bathroom and the other girl kicked the door in.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Let her go over a toilet seat? SMH. If you don't know for sure, let it go. Seriously, lol.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010