Which is more important?

I am a mom of 3, ages 3,7, and 9. We live in a super small town, 25 miles from the nearest neighboring town. Our tiny town has a k-8 school, and my kids are enrolled there. So I have been looking for childcare in our town, because of my 2 older kids being school age. My boyfrined however seems to think I should find a job then worry about childcare. I'm torn as I want to make sure I have someone to care for my kids, before worrying bout finding a job. But since all jobs are in the neighboring town, we don't even have a gas station here, I will have no choice but to work outside of our town. So in your opinion which should I find first, a childcare provider or a job?

momof3xthefun

Asked by momof3xthefun at 12:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• you can start looking around for childcare while you look for a job, that way if you find one and they want you to start right away you are not in a panic.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Do both at the same time. You might look at www.care.com and www.sittercity.com both for providers and jobs. I found my 2 part time jobs there. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Do both! if you can that is.... But put concentratino towards chil care...what happens if you land the job of a lifetime and they want you to start say in 3 days and you do not have childcare lined up? I would not want to hurry up and find childcare...you need to be sure that the center or home (whichever you choose) is the best fit you your children and you! You want them to be well cared for as well as get a good price. make sure you have your questions lined up for your childcare provider too
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think your using the child care situation as an excuse not to look for a job.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• do both
    deevega

Answer by deevega at 2:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Child care first, atleast make sure that there isnt a waiting list or anything. the hiring process can go quickly so you dont want to find a good job then find that "oops" theres a waiting list at daycare so you cant come in on time. There is nothing worse than a brand new employee needing to change their hours or something because they didnt take care of it on time!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Finding childcare is much easier than finding a job. You may find childcare tomorrow, that will not still be available in a couple of months.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Find a job and then check out the childcare close to that job. Or, look for a childcare in the next town and look for a job in that area.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2010