Would you rather buy a present for your childs teacher or put money in for a class present?

Every year I struggle with what to get the teachers for Christmas, I just recieved a email from a room parent asking for $10.00 for a class present. I guess it would be easier handing over the money but I find it impersonal on my part. I have no idea what the room parent is going to pick out. Maybe I can do both.

What do you do? What would you rather do? I'm going to throw in another question. Do you buy for Christmas and the end of year or just one?

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• I would say a small gift would be something nice. I would even get something that can be used for the class depending on your child's age. I am going to buy a book for my son's Pre-K class.

I think asking $10 each for a bulk class present is asking for a large total sum when there are that many kids. It sounds tacky to me.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 4:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• no way I'd throw in $10 without knowing what it was.

I am individual gift, 100%
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• What is the school policy on giving gifts to teachers? Generally there are some sort of guidelines. Call the school office and explain your situation, and they should sort out details with the room mother if you're unable to contact her during school hours.

How many kids are in the class? $10 per child would almost be a plasma TV in some districts!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I prefer to get my own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would have to know what the class present would be. It would be great if it was something I thought the class could use...otherwise I would just get her (or him) a starbucks gift card or a gift card to a nice restaurant or let my child pick out an ornament or something along those lines...
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I usually pitch in for the teacher's gift (they usually get her a gift card to our local mall, so she can choose which store she wants to us it at), and then have my kids make something to give as well.

Answer by missanc at 12:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• There are 20-21 kids in the class. I'm with most of you I like to pick out my own gifts to give. I just don't want my child being the one who did not take part in it, I know I should not let that bother me and Ik ind of already had a gift in mind for her.
    Sunflower722

Comment by Sunflower722 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• E-mail back and ask what the class gift is going to be.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• In our community, we usually do a class present and it's usually a gift certificate. I think that's much more useful to the teacher than 20 individual $5-10 presents.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I do both for my son's rteacher. I get a small present form us and then chip in on the group present. They don't require a certain $$ amount it's just whatever you can afford. I would want to know ahead of time what they were planning to get though. Could you email back and ask what the plan is???
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2010