8mo old FIGHTS when eating, whats going on?

I live with my sister in law, and her daughter Mere is about 8 months old. EVERY single time we try and put her in the high chair to feed her, she screams. She screams the entire time she is in it unless she has a bottle, and sometimes even then she still screams. She WILL NOT eat ANY fruits, and will only sometimes cooperate when eating green beans. However, for the most part, if you try to put food in her mouth, either by spoon or by those pouch things, she screams as if you are murdering her. It doesn't matter what it is, what time of day it is, or even if we are out at a restaurant eating. If you try to put any food in her mouth, she screams.
She's not teething, because she has been doing this since my sister started feeding her jar food. No fail, the child screams and screams and screams.

Does any one have any idea whats going on? Because my sister and I are going crazy trying to get some food in her.

xoJessyxo

Asked by xoJessyxo at 12:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe she would eat better if you let her feed herself? Give her little bites of different food and put them on her highchair tray. Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• She really does not need anything more than formula or breastmilk right now so you could wait a few months and try again. You want to be careful you are not conditioning her now to always resist.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• her pediatrition has told us that she needs to eat more table foods, not less.
    xoJessyxo

Comment by xoJessyxo (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• strange
    deevega

Answer by deevega at 1:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well, maybe she could sit in someone's lap and have that person eating bits of banana and other soft foods and see if the baby reaches for them. Don't offer anything to her and see what she does. Google ideas for first baby foods. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Then again...maybe it's the highchair. She could think of it badly if anything's every happened in it. Has her leg ever gotten pinched in the seat belt or anything like that? If so try letting her eat somewhere else. She could be afraid of it...even if nothing has happened there.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Hmm your answers have all been very helpful!
    It might be the highchair, I do know that on some occasions her feet have been pinched, and perhaps she thinks of the highchair as something bad...
    Thank you all so much for your ideas. Hope they work!
    xoJessyxo

Comment by xoJessyxo (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Let us know if you find something that works. You've got me curious now. =) Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2010