Thanksgiving is National Family History Day

I have a question for adoptees posted asking them if they've lied on patient intake/history forms.
For me, it was to avoid feelings of missing my complete and utter history of myself and my family BEFORE my adoption. There are a few responses that giving (false) medical history is not good, and can be dangerous.
But, isn't NO background JUST as dangerous?

The US Suregon General thinks it's important....just not important for adoptees??

National Family History Day

Each year since 2004, the Surgeon General has declared Thanksgiving to be National Family History Day. Over the holiday or at other times when families gather, the Surgeon General encourages Americans to talk about, and to write down, the health problems that seem to run in their family. Learning about their family's health history may help ensure a longer, healthier future together.

http://www.hhs.gov/familyhistory/

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 12:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Adoption

• "Adoption silence hurts through the generations."

I couldn't agree with this more either.. When my relinquished son found me over 9 years ago, I had children and grandchildren to tell about him. Not telling my children years ago was a huge mistake, and I am still paying for it/

The fact that our country makes a huge deal about families knowing their health history and yet continues to keep adoption records sealed in most states is outrageous and a huge slap in the face to anyone who is adopted and all their parents.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 9:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I am not adopted but I am unsure who my father really is. Both men are deceased now. I barely knew one of them...met him 3 times & no nothing about his family. The other, I know a bit more BUT he was adopted. And his original family was kept a secret from him & from most everyone in the family. He knew he was adopted but was not allowed to know who his original family was. Adoption silence hurts through the generations.
    Anonymous

• You said: ' Adoption silence hurts through the generations.'

absolutely!!
    When it dawned on me that my children would be 'touched' by my adoption, not JUST me, I got off my backside and started seeking answers.
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• No I haven't lied on those forms. I tell them I was adopted and I don't have that information.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2010