If you had Gestational Diabetes during your pregnancy did you also get diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes after LO was born?

How soon after you had LO, if you were diagnosed?

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 12:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Health

• Yes, exactly 2 years to the month after I was dianosed with GD. Right after I gave birth, GD went away, sugars were ok. I started feeling really weird and thought I knew what was going on - this was 2 years later. I asked for a blood test and sure enough, I was 7.0. Before I got it controlled, I was up to 7.3 and now I'm 5.7 because I've lost a good amount of weight.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I had GD with 4 out of 5 of my pregnancies. I do not have diabetes now, but am expecting that at some point in my later life I will be. I try to keep my weight low and be as active as possible to prolong that day!

Answer by missanc at 12:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I am worried because my glucose levels are so high in the 140's and then right before bed they are low like in the 40's ...DH wants me to see a Dr but I have to wait for 3 months before they will see me or I should say have an open appointment ...I am keeping a record of the levels just in case they ask but what do you think?
    4_28_bbboy

Comment by 4_28_bbboy (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Nope. I barely failed my test and for the next 4 months, I was never over the average. I don't have diabetes but it does run in my family so I do watch it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My test during pregnancy always turned out normal, but it turns out I did have it! My daughter was born with her sugars messed up. (she's fine now) and 12 years later I did get type 2
    Mrsvixen69

Answer by Mrsvixen69 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I had it 2 out of 3 pregnancies. The last one was 20 yrs ago. No problems since.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My MIL got gestational diabetes with almost three out of four of her pregnancies and still doesn't have diabetes after they have been long born....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010