My 6 week postpartum checkup is coming up soon and I'm thinking of contraceptives. I'm afraid to have something put in me like an IUD or Cevical Ring. I want to get the Depo shot. I'm breastfeeding and wanted to know if I should get it? Have any other BF moms used the Depo shot successfully?

I would like to know your experiences with the Depo shot good or bad. Thanks Ladies in advance.

NuMommy87

Asked by NuMommy87 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Health

• Im on the depo shot and breastfeeding as well. It's safe to use while nursing. We haven't had any problems. Go for it.
    mychocolatedrop

Answer by mychocolatedrop at 7:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have a friend who uses the ring, and that works well for her. I have two kids, I have the mirena, so far so good! my only problem is that I PMS very often now, I think it might be the hormones in it!
    Momoftwoboys82

Answer by Momoftwoboys82 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I would never recommend the depo to someone who wants to have more kids. I used to have it and it messed me up really bad. Drs told me that I would never be able to get pregnant without fertility drugs. 6 yrs later I did get pregnant on my own. I currently have the mirena iud. I was a little weirded out about having something in my body also, but I decided if I can have a human life in there for 9 months, then why not...... The only issue I have with it is irregular bleeding. that kinda sucks..
    saramae17

Answer by saramae17 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I use the Nuva Ring and love it. Ask about it. You insert it once every 3 weeks, take it out and have your period. Put new one in the week after. I've had no side effects.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• the iud messed up my cycle and so did the depo.id bleed for weeks.after i give birth i rather go to condoms
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 6:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• it is real easy to throw a blood clot on the depo shot and it really makes you gain alot of weight..i know i wouldnt do it..i would try the iud or nuva ring or just use condoms
    JTNMD711

Answer by JTNMD711 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I was on the depo shot for 9 months and HATED every minute of it! The only good thing about it is that after 6 months of nonstop bleeding my pierods stopped completely. But I lost tons of hair while on it, just didn't feel quite like myself and had NO SEX DRIVE AT ALL!!!!! That was the worst part and why I think it must be such a reliable form of birth control...you're either bleeding all the time or never in the mood!!!LOL I'm getting the paragard IUD and going to see how that goes. Good Luck!
    Becky357

Answer by Becky357 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I and two friends of mine got pregnant being on NuvaRing. I just gave birth to my son, (9/5/08) and have started on the pill. Have you looked in to the BC that is an insert under your arm? I'm not sure what its called, but I would def advise staying away from NuvaRing. It doesnt work. Be careful!
    A.Mitchell

Answer by A.Mitchell at 12:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008