in your opinion and experience.. how would u..

discipline a spoiled 19 month old? here are the specs:
she throws tantrums like a pro
she cries when you don't pick her up when she wants you to
she cries when you get her a drink that she doesn't like
she cries when she can't hold your hand in the car
sometimes she cries cause she feels like crying and nothing calms her down

she'd throw her head back and fall out all over the place too! what would you do????

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 12:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've always put my kids in time out--it has seemed to work. Sometimes they get ornery, but for they most part they are good little girls... It's hard to get them out of the spoiled stage once they are already there..
    Good Luck!♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Let her. She is not hurt so screaming isn't going to hurt her either. I always sent mine to her room. she can cry all she wants but I don't have to hear it.

The only way to get her to stop is for her to learn that her crying will not get her what she wants. She will soon give up and realize that you are the boss, not her.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My sister used to throw incredible tantrums when she was that age. My Dad finally snapped and went into the kitchen and got a glass of cold water from the tap and threw it into her face. She never threw a tantrum again.

I certainly don't advocate this method, but if you're at your wits end, you do need to find something that works!\
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh toddler tantrums...what fun. If my son doesn't like what I give him to eat or drink, I simply take it away and set it aside. If he calms down and decides he wants to have it then he gets it back. If he can't calm down then he's hungry until the next meal or snack. I would explain one time that you can't pick her up right at that moment or can't hold her hand while driving and then let it go. Don't say another word until she calms down. Once she has calmed down, I'd ask her a fun question like Did you see that big truck? Or are you ready to see your friends at daycare? Whatever it may be. Eventually she will learn that crying and screaming isn't doing anything and that sitting nice is a lot more fun.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with the letting them cry it out. My 15 month old is a little spoiled, but once they realize that their crying woont get them what they want, they will find other ways to tell you.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 12:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Wow, I am blown away by all these answers. This child is a BABY at barely 1 1/2!!!! This is all a normal part of toddlerhood. And, I think, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 is probably the hardest age becuase everything is coming together in their minds, but they have such a hard time to process it and understand it. Just be more sensitive to this child! Hug her when she cries. Pick her up and comfort her! At this age she understand the basics of what you are trying to tell her, but won't understand detailed ecplanations.

For behavior that is negative, such as throwing a tantrum because she cna't have any more candy, explain that too much candy will make her tummy hurt, and if hse does not stop (which she probably wont), place her in her room for 1 1/2 minutes (1 minute per year of age) in a time out. when time out is over, explain why she was in time out in simple words, and go on with your day.

Please don't be so rough with these kids guys.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have 4 kids, if I dropped everything to try and stop a tantrum that's all I would do. Seriously it will save your sanity if you just let her throw a fit. My daughter is 20 months and she's the same way. She started the fits where she thows herself on the ground too and I just let her. She's not hurting herself or anyone else. She gets angry when I say no about anything she wants so it's better for her to learn now that just because she throws a fit doesn't mean she's going to get her way. She started using the phrase "I'm a princess" to try and get people to give her things so she's old enough and smart enough to know that she doesn't always get what she wants.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have a son who is beginning to become that way. Best advice my grand dad gave me was ignore them and turn your attention to something else. Once they see that you are not going to play that game they will focus on something that doesn't involve yelling to get mommy's attention. Remember to reward her when she does something good that way she will try to do something that pleases you instead of upset you.
    starlit_kissez

Answer by starlit_kissez at 2:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i would ignore and use a time out chair... then praise big time when she does not tantrum or when she calms down.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 2:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• oh yes, and if she has a good reason for being upset, SOOTH her! It matters!
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 2:34 AM on Nov. 23, 2010