• In the Spotlight:

breakfast with my kindergartener

Hi Moms,
So as of lately I've been frustrated every morning with my daughter in tears because she doesnt want to eat breakfast. I have to literally sit with her and command every spoon in her mouth. On top of that, she goes to school and tells her teach that she feels sick because she didn't have any breakfast and I get notified by her teacher. I really dislike being frustrated every morning with eating breakfast. Any of you having the same problems or suggestions that can lead me in the right direction? thank you!

CJnRB

Asked by CJnRB at 12:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I didn't eat breakfast when I was little.............just could not stomach anything that early. My mom sent a snack with me to school. Would that be allowed? My own kids sort of did the same thing but they would at least have some instant breakfast, juice, or a pop tart in the morning. Just ideas.................
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I just let them deal with the consequences. I offer breakfast and if they refuse, they go hungry. Their teachers are already aware. I don't play games with them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'd pick an evening (or a chunk of time on the weekend) and have her put on an apron and help you bake a mess of assorted muffins and also maybe a pile of pancakes and french toast. you can make LOTS and freeze them, then microwave them as needed. Let her get crazy adding fresh and dried fruits, nuts, spices, etc...... kids will rarely reject their own concoctions
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• your daughter is better off going on an empty tummy than a pop tart. just sayin' .....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Would the teacher allow her to bring snacks for the morning, I have some family members that just can't eat when the wake up.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Does her school offer breakfast? My son is in K and he didn't want to eat before school, we'd usually take something to the bus stop...a smoothie, fruit, cheese stick, dry cereal, something. Then at Open House we found out that he can buy breakfast at school, so every few weeks I put $ on his account and he buys it now. He LOVES it.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 5:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• When she doesn't have to go to school, does she eat breakfast without a fight?

What are her favorite bfast foods?

I'm usually not hungry in the morning, but I have coffee. :) My kids are all cereal eaters.
    I guess try to start small, by offering a piece of fruit or something. Talk to her teachers and ask them for suggestions too.

Good luck!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 8:20 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• this is a power struggle - first address the lying at school.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My daughter is in K too. She hardly ever has breakfast at home but loves to have breakfast at school. It eliminates the morning fight and she still gets a good start even if it is a little after she has been up and around.
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 11:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Exactly! adress the lying at school! why does she NEED to lie to the teacher? let her skip breakfast, choose your battles.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 12:48 AM on Nov. 23, 2010