Know your rights, TSA pat-down.

1.Pat-downs will be given to resolve an alarm in either the metal detector or imaging technology.
2.To reduce the need for a pat-down, the most important thing you can do is take everything out of your pockets before you go through screening. Remove jewelry!
3.If you opt out of being screened by Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT), you will receive a pat-down.
4.If you are directed for a pat-down, it should take less than three minutes.
5.The officer will fully inform you of the process before and during the pat-down, and ask you if you have concerns, such as medical devices or areas painful to touch.
6.At any time during the process, you can ask to have the pat-down done in private. You may also have someone accompany you. Someone of YOUR choosing.
7.If they alarm, children 12 and under will receive a MODIFIED pat-down.
8."Because pat-downs are specifically used to resolve alarms and prevent dangerous items from going on a plane, the vast majority of passengers will not receive a pat-down at the checkpoint." TSA Website

Any questions??

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes ... why is a government agency allowed to deprive me of due process, and perform an unreasonable search without a search warrant if I don't consent to showing another voyeuristic TSA agent my naked body when I have committed NO crime? Purchasing a plane ticket doesn't automatically incriminate me, why should I be treated like a criminal. Why should I be treated guilty until TSA proves me innocent, when the Constitution GUARANTEES that I am innocent until proven guilty in a COURT OF LAW, and by a JURY of my PEERS??????????

slap

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• And as soon as you ask for a supervisor or express concern they threaten you with missing your flight, arrest, a $11,000 fine, etc..

Sounds to me like the TSA is getting their training from the KGB.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• yeah .... it'd be nice if all that were true. I cannot stop thinking about the urine soaked man, the bladder cancer survivor. And the breast cancer survivor..... if you try and assert yourself to that list of rules you'll totally miss your flight.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The NEW pat downs have only recently been introduced. They are much more invasive that the pat downs since 9/11.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Why anyone would pop off during an airport screening or on a flight, unprovoked, is beyond me.

Unprovoked??? You mean treating us like criminals with no evidence or charge of a crime is unprovoked? You mean treating people with indignity is unprovoked??? Are you kidding me????
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have a metal hip and have been going thru pat downs for some time now. Its really no big deal to me. If I want to fly it must be. They have always been very careful to do the right thing.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• So whats the excuse for all the harassing and abuse we hear about? Maybe this is how it is supposed to work but as with everything there will be bad agents with bad attitudes that screw things up.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If that happened to be how the TSA conducted business, there would not be such an outrage.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• The roll out has been bumpy, the implementation even worse, and often times agents themselves do not know what the website says.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Have any of you read the new search procedures if you refuse a pat down? Have you even bothered? You will be detained, and will be strip searched, and have every inch of your body checked- including spreading the folds of your labia and doing all but an internal exam- PLUS you will be subject to fines beginning at $10,000.

Jesus fucking christ. There are only 2 people who get to touch me- my SO, and my physician. Anyone else, I consider assault. I also love how their "random" selections for additional screenings are for the majority female.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010