How do you explain to a child why 1 x 1 = 1?

Not just memorizing 1 x 1 = 1 but why it equals one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in

• I explain it as "it's 1, 1 time" - my kids picked up pretty quick.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It is one 1. Tell them two one's are 2. Show them with your fingers or something. I explained it to my daughter and she gets it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Because there is one across and one down using blocks or something. 2x2 would be two across and two down. That is how school explained it to me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Because it is 1 only 1 time. If it were 1 two times it would be 2. If it were 1 three times it would be three..
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We talk about multiplication as ___ groups of ____. (2 X 2 is two groups of two, 4 x 3 is four groups of three) So one group of one is one item. I agree to show them with blocks, and do a couple examples so they get the idea of what multiplication is really doing, then show them that one group of one is just one.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• funnily enough, my son is the one who explained it to me:  because its 1 (group) of 1  --- he did it with legos -- look mommy 3 2's are six....

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• When I taught my nieces I place it in a box with 2 across and 2 down then 1 plus another 1. This allow the child to see things in person and not as a makeup thing in your mind. When they are able to actually count it out they began to understands what the multiply and additon or my favor PEMDAS Parentheses Equations Multiply DivideAddition Subtraction.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 8:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If you have only 1 group of pennies, and there is only 1 penny in the group, how many pennies do you have? ...1

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Now I have ideas. My son before doing anything has to know why.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I would shade in graph paper squares.

1 row x 1 column = 1 square
    2 rows x 1 column = 2 squares
    2 rows x 2 columns = 4 squares

etc.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2010