My 10 yr. old talked about suicide :(

My son's school called me this morning and said that my 10 yr. old ds said he wanted to kill himself. I was in shock and didn't know what to think, do or say. I went in for a meeting w/ my ds, his teacher and the guidance counselor and my ds said that he said this because his teacher took a pencil from him (which I'm thinking was becasue he was doodling) and he got angry. And if that's not bad enough, my ds wrote something similar in a note and gave it to his bf who gave it to his father. The father called me and my dh and I talked to our son and thought things were ok. Apparently not which makes me feel even worse because I feel like I didn't do enough. Please, no bashing. I feel bad enough. I'm asking for advice only.

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• take him to a psychologist!
    Anonymous

• take him to a therapist, he's either using it for the effect or something is actually wrong, either way a therapist would help alot.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 7:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• take him for counseling.. he may not feel comfortable talking about everything that's going on with you and ur husband. doesn't mean ur bad parents... just sometimes kids will open up about some thing to someone else before they'll open up to their parents. But definitely counseling.
    Anonymous

• I am sorry. I would be so worried! Is he on any medications? (allergy, ADHD, etc?) I know that meds like SIngulair can have sever effects on moods and behavior and have been said to cause young children to feel suicidal. Also, could he be influenced by a school mate or sibling? I know also that sometimes kids that have diets with foods high in red 40 and other artificial additives can have issues similar to this. I would look into some of these things, and really sit down and have a talk with him.. find out whats going on. Be very open minded, and tell him there is no way he can get in trouble for feelings he has...

good luck.
    Anonymous

• Ty anon 7:55 and yes he's on two different forms of Adderall for ADHD and ODD. But as far as I know, this (and the note two weeks ago) is the only time this has ever happened. We are getting him in to see a psychologist, it's just finding one that takes his insurance that makes it a little tough. We have the state insurance and they're pretty limited as far as who they cover.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• ADHD meds are known for making kids have increased suicidal thoughts. My son went throughit around the same age. Take him to his doc that prescribed the meds and and let him/her know what has happened, my sons doc took him off the med immediately. We then found a psychologistand he went and talk to him and then we went as a family.  After a few months he went back to the way he was, we were very open and honest about the whole thing, encouraged him to tell us how he was feeling. We never did put him back on the ADHD meds, we try to control his ADHD through diet, exercise and natural supplements. I wish you the best it's a hard situation to be in, I know that it breaks your heart when you hear your child say that.  (((hugs))) If you want anymore information pls message me.

shoegal

Answer by shoegal at 10:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I agree with shoegal. My son is also 10 and has talked about suicide as well. The worst was when he was on the med Abilify. Took him off it and he got better. I would talk to whoever prescriped your son's meds right away. Don't wait.

I hope things get better for you guys.
    ithi

Answer by ithi at 8:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• The good thing here is that he is 10.And young enough to fix this before the teenage stuff kicks in.Maybe he needs to boost his confidence up with sports or a new hobby.Maybe that would make him feel better about himself.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2008