my daughter's 2 and a half ... still in nappys and the dummy's in her mouth...

i am pregnant.. and am afraid the more i wait the harder it gets especially with the new baby...... i don't know what to do especially that i recently moved to the uk and have no friends or relatives to help...... so which shoul i stop first.. and how.. i am afraid she will never sleep without her dummy

docmamy

Asked by docmamy at 12:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm thinking a dummy is a pacifier, but what's a nappy?
    Anonymous

• Whats a nappy and a dummy?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• She'll sleep, it's take a few days maybe even about two weeks but she'll sleep. You dont see grown ups walking around with binkies in there mouth, so everybody has to lose them at sometime. I really suggest going cold turkey because the longer you keep the Binky around the longer it will take for her to let go. Now is the time especially if you want to get ride of them before the new baby comes. By the way Congrats on the new baby.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• A nappy is a diaper.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• im sorry but i don't understand? what are nappy's and dummy's?
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Google "toilet training readiness" and you will see some helpful info to see if she is ready to toilet train. My friend let her kids use a pacifier until they gave it up on their own at age three. Wish I could be of more help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Cold turkey with the passy (dummy) is your best bet to go with first. Yes, she will cry and possibly yell. Just explain to her that she is a big girl and she doesn't need it anymore. Maybe even have her put them in a bag, tie it on a tree limb and then the "Dummy Fairy" can come and take them to the little boys and girls who need them and the next morning a special surprise will be tied to the tree for her! :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well, being in diapers at 2 1/2 is not a huge deal. My very bright DD was in diapers and she was 2 1/2 when my son was born. About 3 months later she was completely potty trained. I would work on the pacifier first, simply because that is something that will be more difficult, and youll have another baby to care for. Does she require her pacifier at night? If so, I would take it away during the day, explain that dummy (or whatever you call it with her) will be back at bedtime. If she protests, try to distract her, or go into another room and pick up her favorite book or something and try to distract her. Return the pacifier at night time. Once shes weaned during the day, at night, lay with her, or sit next to her, shush her and rub her back and sing to her if hse cries for the pacifier. This is how we weaned from the breast at night at this age too. It will probably take a couple of days, but just be sensitive and caring.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• being in diapers at that age isn't the end of the world. Look up the '3 day method" for toilet training. As for the dummy, she'll cry but the world will NOT end, and it's best to break her of it before the new baby comes. Just take it away, and throw it out.

luck to you

BTW- since you all seem lost, a nappy is a diaper, and a dummy is a pacifier.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My son turned 3 one month before my daughter was born. Two months later, he was potty trained. We ended up just being extremely aggressive with the training (going every 20 minutes) because I refused to change TWO diapers at once. We also offered up bribes like candy, toys, etc, and a day trip once he stayed dry for a week. Also limit her drinks at night to keep her dry.
    As far as the paci, we made both our sons throw them away at age 2, and went cold turkey after that.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010