Another account of common sense out the window?

Here's an anonymous account of a US Army soldier returning from Afghanistan who watched as his buddies -- who were all carrying high-powered rifles, pistols, etc -- were forced to surrender their nail-clippers and multi-tools:

"So we're in line, going through one at a time. One of our Soldiers had his Gerber multi-tool. TSA confiscated it. Kind of ridiculous, but it gets better. A few minutes later, a guy empties his pockets and has a pair of nail clippers. Nail clippers. TSA informs the Soldier that they're going to confiscate his nail clippers. The conversation went something like this:
TSA Guy: You can't take those on the plane.

Soldier: What? I've had them since we left country.

TSA Guy: You're not suppose to have them.

Soldier: Why?

TSA Guy: They can be used as a weapon.

Soldier: [touches butt stock of the rifle] But this actually is a weapon. And I'm allowed to take it on.

TSA Guy: Yeah but you can't use it to take over the plane. You don't have bullets.

Soldier: And I can take over the plane with nail clippers?

TSA Guy: [awkward silence]

Me: Dude, just give him your damn nail clippers so we can get the f**k out of here. I'll buy you a new set.

Soldier: [hands nail clippers to TSA guy, makes it through security]

This might be a good time to remind everyone that approximately 233 people re-boarded that plane with assault rifles, pistols, and machine guns-but nothing that could have been used as a weapon."

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 1:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nail clippers are no longer on the banned item list- unless the list has been revised in the last week!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I guess the TSA hasn't heard of "pistol whipped"
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Depends on the airport. My husbands were confiscated flying out of Denver on Friday.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Grant me access to the cockpit or someone gets groomed! I'm not kidding, I know how to use these things and I'll groom you all if you don't do what I say!

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• slapping forehead

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I've seen this. Utter insanity on so many levels. The soldiers had been screened several times already along the way, were made to get off the plane, were confined to one area in the airport, and then searched by TSA. OUR SOLDIERS! You know, the good guys. This is so amazingly ridiculous that I must commend those men for their restraint.

He's holding a rifle and the agent wants his nail clippers. Good grief!
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They took my mom's fold up scissors. The blade was about an inch long.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:35 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I could beat someone senseless with my purse because it's so heavy.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Wow. I feel so much safer someone can't clip my nails to death when I fly.
    Anonymous

• Well,you might get blown up but rest assured, your nails will be long when you do!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010