How to deal with argumentative 9 year old daughter.

My 9 year old daughter argues about everything and when we try to explain things to her she acts like she doesn't know what we are talking about. Like last night, she said that I was lying about something. I told her that I wasn't and she said well that is my opinion. I asked her if she knew what the difference was between fact and opinion and she told me and she got it right and so I went on to give a senerio of a fact and opinion and I ended with right? And then she smarted off and said...huh, write what, what do me to write. She new what I meant but she does that all time, acts like she doesn't know what I me and plays dumb....I don't know what to do.

lovemykids2010

Asked by lovemykids2010 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would give her some consequences for being rude. Don't stand there and argue with her or you are feeding in to it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• OH my gosh, my 10 year old is the same way exactly....... I have grounded her from doing certain activities, I have grounded her to her room. I have tried to talk to her about it, I don't know what else to do... I make her go to her room with her funky attitude, regardless to if she is mad or not. I instill in her that she will not get the last word and her attitude is not going to get her anywhere.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Stop explaining things to her. Or next time she does it tell her something like "nevermind, you're obviously too young to understand" or something to make her WANT to act like she knows what you're talking about. Or simply tell her next time she gets smart she's going to be in trouble because that's not appropriate behavior. And then carry out the punishment.
    Anonymous

• eh, tie her down to a chair and tape her mouth shut! LOL That always works!!

Seriously, IDK, but I hope you get a solution soon! I never had that problem with my 12 & now 10 year old.. I still have three younger ones though so any advice would be great for the future!
    AmandaValentin

Answer by AmandaValentin at 1:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Umm... punish her for being sassy? I would never let my child tell me I am lying!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• When my children start to argue with me, I simply tell them I'm not arguing about it. If they persist I walk away. I'm not going to engage in argument with a 12 yr old or 16 yr old, I tell them when they are ready to talk to me like an adult we'll talk about it.
    Seems to work. My 12 yr old started to get sassy the other day when I asked him to let the dogs out, and started giving me that tone like I was dumb. I told him that I wasn't arguing, that I asked him nicely to let the dogs out and he can now get up and do it. He did.
    He also then vacuumed the floor (which he was suppose to do before I got home from work) guess he decided he should take care of things before he was really in trouble. I don't know but it works for my kids. Simply don't engage, and I'd also tell her not to talk to you that way. I had that talk with my 16 yr old this summer and let him know how much it hurt my feelings...he hasn't done it since
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Why are you even answering to a 9 year old? Seriously?? Wake up!
    shabbypink123

Answer by shabbypink123 at 1:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• walk a way them go back and talk to her and ask her why
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• I would give her some consequences for being rude. Don't stand there and argue with her or you are feeding in to it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:06 AM on May. 16, 2011