FIRST LOVE - Break Up

How did you comfort your teen after his/her first love breakup?

I told my teen they are just TOO YOUNG for a relationship.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would just be there to listen to my dd and have a shoulder for her to cry on....your first love breakup hurts..and there's nothin you can do to stop it, and you know it's going to happen, as a parent, to your child...I can only hope that my dd knows she can come to me, and that she has a good support system in her friends like I did with my best friend..and I van only hope that her heartbreak is less painful than mine was..I can't stand to see her miserable now, at 2, so I know it'll be hard when this happens..we can only reassure her to a certain point bc it'll take her time to heal and find somebody new and actually trust a guy again with her heart.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:34 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't have a teen but I guess I would have wanted to hear reassurance that I would find someone else someday and I won't feel brokenhearted forever. I don't think I would want to be told I was too young to feel what I was feeling.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I don't have a teen yet, but I thnk the last thing they want to hear is how they were too young anyway. Just reassure him/her it's okay to grieve, but that it will get easier, and with time, they'll find love again. Just listen and be available without judging.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• That was a good answer, BTW how old are we talking here???
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 1:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• my parents used to tell me. I know it hurts but you will move on and find someone else we have all been through it and we know what it feels like and it sucks but in a few days you will feel better. And always remember, the person you are going to marry, you probably have not even met yet. i never forgot that. and they were always right.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 1:30 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• NOTE: I DID tell my teen that some day the right person will come along. To enjoy being a teen and having fun. Focus on School, friends/family sports, music and other interests. Dating is OK, just don't worry about finding the ONE person just yet. If it is meant to be, it will be.

I DID not criticize my teen. My teen is just very loyal and sensitive. They were already talking about getting married (AFTER COLLEGE), etc.

Just setting things straight here.

Thank you all for the input/suggestions.
    I LOVE my Cafe Mom family!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2010