Have you ever had to call Poison Control for your kids?

Have you ever had to call poison control for your kids eating something they shouldn't have? How often have you had to call them??

Asked by mommynlovinit at 7:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I had to call once when my DS was about a 14 months old. She was teething and I had bought some of those teething tablets to see if that would help and she was able to get into the bottle and ate about 75 of the tablets. So I called Poision Control to see if it was okay. Thankfully, it was fine.

Answer by crazymomma05 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Fortunately, I have never had to call. I do, however, have the poison control stickers on all my phones, just in case.

Answer by LadyJag at 8:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I called poison control so much with my first child ...they recognized my voice and would say "Is this about Noah, again?" LOL... We agreed that he was going to be a pharmacist when he grew he was trying to taste everything he could get his hands on. Or he was going to be a therapist ...for me...cause he drove me crazy. LOL They keep track of your calls, but not to report you. Some kids are just into everything. With my second son, we have never had to call. Thank God little Noah survived his bouts with eating dish soap, hand lotion and window cleaner. There are also phone numbers on the back of most products for these types of accidents. Hope that brought ya some comfort.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my kid got into the bathroom and decided it would be fun to eat baby wash. then he threw up so i called them they said he would be ok just to watch him.

Answer by julietw at 8:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i have because my daughter ate the cellophone from a fruit roll up and they said she would poop it out.

Answer by ilovetracilynn at 9:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My husband accidently gave our son a double dose of tylenol when he was just under a year old. I was in such a panic and wanted to go to the emergency room and have his stomach pumped!!! Then he called poison control and they were like "well, it's no big deal as long as you haven't given him anything else with it, just keep an eye on him" My husband is no longer allowed in the medicine cabinet without adult supervision :o)

Answer by livytwo at 9:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I haven't had to call, but I have their number saved in my cell phone, just in case!

Answer by hesmommafl at 9:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i had to around 5 months ago or so. both my identical twins were sick and i was watching my infant niece at time who was also sick. i started doseing out the benedryl, went to give seth his dose and had this sinking feeling in my gut that i had just given seth wyatts dose. i called PC and told them that i thought i had just double dosed seth, after calming me just kinda gave me a chuckle and told me no worries that i would just have a very sleepy baby on my hands. ohh not so much...seth was bouncing off the walls literally until he crashed 45 min. later.

Answer by hammes_cj at 9:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I did when my daughter managed to get a phenergan suppository out of the frig and ate it. Ha.. no kidding! It smells like cocoa butter. Poison control said not to worry that she would take a nice nap, and she did.

Answer by braggabout at 9:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thankfully I haven't had to w/ Leland so far. He's so picky about what he puts in his mouth as it is, that he has never had any interest in eating/drinking anything that that would harm him. I'm worried that since I got so lucky w/ Leland that Kyan will have me on the phone all the time.

Answer by LelandsMommy at 10:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2008