Santa

We have 4 little girls ages 7 (almost 8), 5, 3, and almost 2. We decided when we had kids to do the Santa thing. We agreed that when pressed we wouldn't continue to "lie". Well, we haven't really been pressed but I'm sensing that our oldest should be told in a gentle way that there isn't a Santa. Actually, I'm considering telling all of the girls but continuing to pretend that there is. I just wonder if this is not the best time of year to spring the news or if it's actually the best time? Thinking maybe they'll see right away that Christmas isn't really different. Though I have to admit, Christmas changed for me once my parents told me the truth. I'm concerned that someone will spill the beans to my almost 8 year old in a not so gentle way if I don't do it soon. Something is just telling me that it is time, but a part of me wants to let them keep believing but I have to wonder if God is prompting me to stop. We still make a big deal about it being Jesus's birthday. Santa has just been a little part of it. Any advice? Any experience in this area?

sarasquiverfull

Asked by sarasquiverfull at 1:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My oldest is 4..and she just LOVES Santa...and being the Christmas season, talks about him often. I am not looking forward to that "talk". My advise to you is go with your gut feeling. Which sounds like telling them the truth. Good Luck!
    LoveMyKids0203

Answer by LoveMyKids0203 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My oldest is 17, and yes he knows there is no santa in a bid red suit and comes down a chimney, but he also knows that there is many genurous people out there that give this time of yeasr and beleives that those are what Santas are. My 11 year old ask the question Is there really a Santa, My answer is What do you beleive. She says that she believes there is a Santa, but my friends told me there is'nt I have told her a santa is what you make of it and whom ever you beleive he is. SHE STILL BELEIVES, I feel she will figure it out adventually,
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have a 7 (almost 8 year old) too as well as a 6 yr old, 3 yr old, and almost 2 yr old....I've actually been thinking about this a lot too lately because I'm afraid someone at school is going to say something. After all I found out that the kids in my sons 1st and 2nd grade classes are already talking about "you know what" so I'm wondering if this is going to be talked about at the playground as well. The way I'm going to handle it is kind of a wait and see. If my kids ask then I'll decide if I'm going to say anything. I think that Santa is real, just because it's the parents doesn't take away the magic and the giving of the season. I would tell the oldest to not take away that magic from the other kids though because they're only little once.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Let them believe a few more years! It's so much fun!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• At our house, we've always treated Santa as a fun game we play at Christmas time, not as a real entity. Let them join in the fun by helping be "Santa" by helping dad wrap your presents and stuff your stocking, and helping you do those things for dad.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I allowed my dd's to believe until they asked about it...
    Now our 9 yr old grandson over the summer has asked and of course
    I told him the history of Santa, but that we have always been his Santa...
    He was just fine and didn't think we lied to him...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• In my opinion, we all figure it out on our own but if my parents had come out and told me there was no Santa I would have been even more bummed. Let your kids figure it out and when they do make sure they know they are now on the other side of this special secret. I believe in the spirit of Santa's symbolism and the beautiful, mystic quality of the tale. Let your kids enjoy it and grow up to the reality at their own pace.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• They only really believe for a few short years in their life so I say have fun with it, life just gets more serious after that anyway.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I found out on my own. I went snooping for presents and found everything in my parent's room. From then on, I stopped believing in Santa. With my own daughter, I'm thinking of going a different route and teaching her about St. Nicholas who shares gifts with the children of the world on his birthday.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i tried to tell my 8 year old last year--he came home because someone at school told him there wasn't one--i told him at first that their wasn't--he got upset--so i said santa is real to those that believe, just like polar express, thta those that want to believe can, those that don't want to do not have too---this year though we moved, and i am struggling with money--since we moved and now live with another family who does not do the santa thing--i told my son that this year, mom is buying the gifts, because i did not know if santa would come here or not--he was ok with that and hasn't asked me much since--other then telling me what he wants.
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 5:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2010