Do you believe sexual addiction is real? adult content

My huband is currenty being investigated for indecent exposure. He was called into the police station, confronted by a detective and confessed. He called me, told me everything (caught masturbating in his car), immediately made an appointment with a therapist. He is very sorry, feels very guilty, and has vowed to do whatever it takes to get my trust back. We have two sons and he is a great husband and father. Is this a real addiction? Would you stay and give him another chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Health

• I think it is a real addiction. But giving him another chance is totally up to you.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• http://www.medicinenet.com/sexual_addiction/article.htm

Yes, it is a real addiction. I personally don't know if I would be a strong enough woman to be with someone that had a sexual addiction--it is common that they cheat.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• What was he looking at while he was getting off?? Where was he?
    I'd be more concerned with whether or not this could escalate into rape (child if he was looking at kids,or a woman if he was looking at ladies)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My husband had it and is a year clean keep your chin up it's hard but so worth staying good luck
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 1:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• What,you don't believe a man masturbating in public was doing it because he saw something to excite him? Men are visual. This is why the police are concerned,just like when they find peepers. it escalates into violence.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would be concerned with what got him aroused in the first place as well. I'm sure it is a real addiction, but that may not be the reason for why he was masturbating in the car. Why was he? I don't find the act itself to be a problem, but maybe there is more to the story....
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• He was looking at grown women. If I honestly thought he could cause physical harm to anyone I would never consider staying. As much grief and anguish as he/we is/are going through I think it is some sort of relief for him that he was caught. It forced him to be honest with himself and me. As well as forced him to seek out help for anwsers he does not have.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I definitely believe its an addiction, I have a FEMALE friend that does this... seriously, and I know she needs help.  Its like any other addiction some people need serious help to overcome it.  In your situation, be supportive and wait for an outcome.  I would not up and leave now though, he was at least honest with you.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes hun, I'm sorry to say it is an addiction. It is a LOAD OF CRAP that "men are visual and don't you believe they can play with themselves?" It's okay...blah blah blah. Google the addiction and you will find out ALOT. My husband has been dealing with a sexual addiction (porno) since he was a young boy. Alot of women don't consider that as an addiction or that it is wrong. IT IS BOTH! You should only be pleasuring each other and looking and lusting at others is WRONG and poison to your relationship. Why can't women respect themselves enough to expect more out of their men?? We have been dealing with this in our 7 years of marriage. He tried to hide it for the first year...once discovered...he tried to deal with it alone...then after failing he decided to confess everything to me and he asked me for help. He wanted to stop. After that we have changed our way of life...put a block on the computer & tv.....
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• ....continued.....Really pay attention to what we rent. Alot of other ways we are protecting our marriage from it. It is VERY hard and something he deals with on a daily basis. But as a man...he has chosen to make an effort to save our marriage and do what is right and respectful to me. We have gone and talked with someone about it as well. THat helps alot. But to answer your questions...Yes I believe it is an actual addiction. Google it and you can find alot of info about it and what to do about it. Yes you can save your marriage. Please do not give up on your marriage. There is hope. As long as he is willing to be honest with you and work things out and actually try...then I don't see why you can't get thru this! Trust me...it is super hard and the addiction itself won't ever really go away. Again, don't give up on him if he is willing to stop. It takes a real man to confess this and want to stop.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2010