What to Do?

My 17 DS told me he doesn't believe there is a God anymore, I was shocked. We have been going to church forever. Have always been a Christian family and truly believe. I am have talked to him about what Jesus has done for our family and his statement is those are just coincidences, I dont believe that of course. I just don't know what to say or do. I know that I cant force him to believe or make him go to church.

hodgkinrus6

Asked by hodgkinrus6 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Start praying for him. You have done the right things in his raising and Im sure he will find his way back.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It's what he believes.. You believe what you want..he believes what he wants.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Prayer and showing him Gods love and leading by example is what I would do honey! I will continue to pray for your family! I know tha tmust be hard hearing that! God is amazing and can make anything happen! In HIS time!
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 1:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Let him investigate other religions if he wants to, do not in any way force him to believe what you believe.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I think it might be normal for kids/people to question their beliefs at some point. He may be coming to a place where he can develop a personal set of beliefs instead of what you have 'fed' him all his life. My son went through a similar phase around 15 or 16. Pray for him. Ask God to reveal Himself to your son in a very real way. I encourage you to commit to serious prayer for your son during this time of doubt. We serve an awesome God!
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 1:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Just pray. And keep praying. You can just show him God's love but don't force the issue because you don't want to chase him farther away. There are alot of people who do the same when they are around that age and then always find their way back eventually.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Let him walk his own path... If it is meant to be then so be it...
    If not allow him his freedom to walk it and if the path leads back, then it leads back...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well if that's what he chooses to believe then there is nothing you can do. Maybe pray for him if it makes you feel better. I wouldn't talk about it with him, I wouldn't "force" the issue with him, that will just lead to resentment. Just let him know that just because he doesn't believe that he has a right to be disrespectfull about it. At the same time, you should tell him that you love him and will support his decision
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Love him and value his opinions even if you don't agree with them. He's an practically an adult and like you said you can't make him believe, just love him and stay true to your own beliefs.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Prayer is all you can do, and God will show him. If you have always been a believer than you know the amazing things God does. On a separate note... why all the votes down for saying prayer?

This is a persons opinion, if you don't like it then go on to the next comment!

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2010