Can you re-lacttate after a month?

I had my pre mature twins 4 weeks ago and they wouldn t latch on.. I pumped for about a week and bottle fed them my breast milk... of course though my milk supply diminsihed ALOT so I gave up and started to formula feed them... Last night out of curiosity I put one of the girls on my breast and she latched on and used me basically as a human pacifier... do you think it's possible to get your milk back after 4 weeks? I feel so awful formula feeding them plus its like 13 dollars a day with twins

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 1:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, with enough stimulation a non pregnant woman can produce milk, they used to call them 'wet nurses" back in the day. just be consistednt with it though.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yes, you can induce lactation at any time, really... but only a month out and it will be a whole lot easier!

Latching is the hardest part, really. If even one of them will latch, then youre WAY ahead of the game. (and it's not at all uncommon for preemies to latch around their original due dates).

Put her to the breast and let her nurse as much as possible. If you can, go to your hospital and ask if they have any SNS's or small gage tubing to make an SNS with and you can feed her formula at the breast. Slowly decrease the amount of formula and your milk supply will increase as her demand increases.

Get some fenugreek and mothers milk tea. Both will help along with stimulation (stimulation is KEY, though, without enough of it, nothing will happen).
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Considering women who were NEVER even pregnant and adopted induce lactation it most certainly is possible to relactate at this point. First thing is get a good pump and supplemental nursing system (SNS). Use the SNS to feed formula from your breast and then pump the other side while they nurse. Pump half way between feedings to even if you are only getting half an ounce. Then check out the website www.kellymom.com for numerous thing to help increase your supply.

Wet nurses were NOT non pregnant women though just as an FYI. They were women who had recently given birth to their own children and were given a wealthy women's child along with their own to nurse.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• It sounds like it could work. Good Luck...
    christinato

Answer by christinato at 3:31 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• As long as you still have breasts attached to your chest, you can relactate. Even a woman who has never been pregnant can lactate with proper stimulation. Pumping, fenugreek, and putting baby to breast is the best way to get your supply back up. Get yourself an SNS (supplemental nursing system) and put babies to breast at feedings.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Oh, I do want to add, don't expect things to happen right away. It takes time and patience, but you can get there. Good luck!
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• interesting i would like to be updated on this one
    natalieumphrey

Answer by natalieumphrey at 2:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2010