I have been asked to be my friends baby's godmother. What are the duties of a godmother?

I feel this is a pretty big honor....

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Traditionally, the Godparents raise the child should the parents no longer be able to due to death or illness.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You dress the baby in the Christening outfit on the Christening day & should buy it as well. You usually also purchase the babies first cross necklace. At the Christening, you stand at the font with the Mother, Father & Godfather with the Priest and witness the water blessing. After that in old times, if something were to happen to the Mother & Father, you would raise the child. But now a days, parents should have Wills for that and you are not necessarily legaly resposible for the child unless it is stated in the Will. But it is an honor and traditionally, you send the child gifts and/or cards on their Birthdays.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Yup, both of these answers. I've been made a godmother three times, but have lost contact with all three families.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with the previous answers. Some times raising the child also includes raising him/her within the faith of the parents along with merely raising them in the general sense. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• As the PPs said, the Godparents were there to take care of the child if anything should happen to the parents. The were chosen mostly for their ability and willingness to raise the child in the faith of it's parents.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 6:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You might need them to clarify. Sometimes "Godparent" can mean legal guardian if something should happen to the parents. Sometimes it means religiously speaking. Sometimes they mean one or the other, sometimes they mean both. I have a friend who is Catholic whose children have a male and female Godparent each (like a cousin on one side of the family and an aunt on the other) as spiritual Godparents, but I believe she has different people who will be their guardians should something happen to her and her husband.

The role of the Godparent depends on what branch or denomination of Christianity the parents are involved in. Protestant Godparents act as "sponsors." They, along with the congregation, promise to help and encourage the parents to raise the child in the faith. I'm not sure about Catholic Godparents though. I think some of the answers above could help you there.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Godparents are also supposed to help raise the child in the faith. Godparents assist the parents in forming the child's conscience and ensure the child is receiving the sacraments.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Thank you!! I wasn't real sure what all was expected!! I love this little girl and would do all these things irregardless of being godmother for her!
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 4:56 AM on Nov. 23, 2010