Need help w/4 yr old!!

How do you teach a 4 yr old to wipe after they go #2? Besides the obvious..I didnt think it would be this hard! lol..but she is starting kindergarten next fall..and I want to have her prepared. It's almost like it's hard for her to reach. :) Help Please..and BUMP if you answer..thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i have the same problem with my 4 year old, she can't reach well but she also doesn't want me to help her unless she wants help. if i offer she says no.. lol. ill be checking back to see what advice you get!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I'm not sure about this, I still insist on wiping my 4 y/o. But I really understand the need for learning this skill.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would just keep having her practice and then do it after her. I wish I had a trick for you but I have a four year old too and he also needs to learn. Its funny you look at their little arms and you wonder how the heck they can do it.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• My younger daughter never really did get it down completely until she was about 6. Til then, I kept a box of wet wipes in the bathroom to prevent underwear soiling while she learned. That really helped cut down on the skid marks. She eventually got it, and so will yours. By the way, my kids never poop at school and yours may not either, so it might not even be anything to be concerned with. Just keep working on it with her and maybe give the fresh wipes a try.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I like the idea of the wet wipes...as opposed to regular tp when she goes poop. Thanks for that, I think we'll try it. Her arms barely reach back there! lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I just explained to mine that if they didn't wipe, their undies would get dirty, they would smell like poop and it would make their butts itch bad. I rarely have to wipe after my 4 yr old. Sometimes he uses a ton of toilet paper, but he makes sure his butt is clean.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I just let her keep trying. I do, of course, "inspect" and make sure there's nothing there when she finishes....wet wipes are WAY useful as well.

Eventually she'll "get" it =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• We use wet wipes with our 4 yr old!!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I have the flushable wipes that my almost 4 year old uses and I also bought the toilet paper that has the doggy paws on it. It helps them know how much toilet paper to take.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• use the kandoo wipes and maybe it will seem more fun
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 22, 2010