• In the Spotlight:

making deviled eggs for Thanksgiving for the first time, have a question about keeping them fresh

okay i have a good recipe (which i got from you lovely ladies here on CM =) ) but i need to know a few things. first, ill be making them around 10 am because my mom serves the turkey feast early around noon or 1, so they'll be just enough to snack on before we eat. do i just leave them in the egg trays after cooking them or do they need to be refrigerated immediately, then taken out when i want to serve them? ill most likely put them away when she serves the meal and then how many days will they be good after that? thank you!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would make them the night before and keep them in the fridge until serving. I think they are actually better the next day. IF there are any leftover, just pop them back in the fridge.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Refrigerate them for a while after you make them, that way the filling has some time for the flavors to mix and it will set up a bit. Warm deviled eggs aren't very good. They can safely be at room temp for a couple hours, and can be refrigerated for 3-5 days.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• If you have leftovers, I would probably just chop them up and make a quick egg salad out of it. Otherwise, they will be messy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• i have never had leftover deviled eggs, they go so quickly, i have also never had to worry about having to refrigerate them either for the same reason.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• You can refrigerate them, but they're safe at room temperature for hours. I'd devil the yolks and store them separately from the whites until I'm ready to serve them: I wouldn't want to cover the pretty piped decoration and I don't like the way they dry out and get chunky on the tops.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• okay, thanks, like i said ive never done this before lol. and i havent had them since i was little so i dont remember if people eat them warm, room temp or cold. hopefully they'll turn out yummy!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010