What do you say to a person who lost a love one?

I mean what is the first thing you say to show your sorrow for them as well...I am not good at this :(
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Health

• I'm so sorry.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• All you can do is tell them you're sorry and then be there for them if they need or want to talk.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Well when I lost my Dad and Step mom at 24 I actually hated people saying sorry as if it were their fault. Saying they were there for me was better. And having been in that situation I know that there is nothing anyone can say to make it feel better. I since then have had 2 friends lose their fathers and I told them, "I know there is nothing I can say or tell you that will make you feel better, but what I can tell you from experience is that, though the hurt may feel like it will never go away it does get easier to manage and deal with, but for now don't feel like you have to be strong you will grieve on your own time."
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 2:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Sometimes silence speaks louder then words. Just be there and let them grieve
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 2:17 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I woud say you should just let them know that you are there for them... don't try and tell them you "understand..." because you don't. Even if you have lost a loved one, you are not them, and you were not in the relationship that they had... You will never fully comprehend their feelings, just as they will never fully comprehend yours.... just make them feel loved and supported. Even if they don't appreciate it now, they will later...
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• OP HERE ...Thanks ladies for your input but I have heard ppl say something My condolences or something like that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I would just tell them I am sorry for their loss and let them know that I will be here for them if they need a shoulder to cry on or someone to talk to
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I just say what I wanted people to say to me when I have lost a lost one. "I am so sorry for your loss. If you need to talk or even just sit with someone and cry, don't hesitate to call me"
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:21 PM on Nov. 22, 2010