• In the Spotlight:

my 4 yr girl asked me yesterday "why do we bleed from our privetes?"

i told her that is something that all females go through. she asked if boys go through it. i told her "no" now she wants to be a boy. how do i explain this to her in a better way?

xiomara

Asked by xiomara at 8:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• haha "now she wants to be a boy".....how does she even know about it at that age?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i told my w (boy and girl) that it happens to women when they get older so that they can have babies. My son was kinds jealous for a while b/c he wants to be able to have a baby too.
    For my 2 I've found that giving them all the info I can in as simplified a way as possible usually shifts the issue (of course they still ask constantly)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You did just fine. There's no way around it-our monthly visitor is not a fun or welcome thing (most of the time.........). Once she comes ot terms with the fact that she really can't avoid it, she'll be fine.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 8:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• you should tell her that stupid "Eve" ate the apple when she wasnt suppouse to, thats why God punished us females with the damn period and with getting pregnant and having kids:( now "adam" on the other hand didnt disobey thats why men have it good, I wish I was a guy also.
    Anonymous

• A perfectly appropriate answer for any age is that God made women special in that they are able to have babies. When we bleed, it is just nature's way of telling us that our bodies are getting ready to change and be able to have babies (but that you want her to wait until she is 35 before she starts dating?!! Sorry I had to add that in there too!) My son was the same way and wanted to be a girl for a while when he found out that only girls could be mommies. I just explained to him how special it was going to be for him when he gets older because he "gets to be a daddy some day" and I will never get to be a daddy, only boys can do that. He then decided it was nice to be a boy.
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 8:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Just wondering, how does she even know about this ?
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 8:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My son asked me because he follows me into the bathroom!! I just told him girls bleed because it is our way of being able to have babies. We got a book called "amazing you" and read it. He asked some follow up questions, I anwered them honestly :)
    SummerHolloway

Answer by SummerHolloway at 1:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2008