What if your kid was like this what do you do?

OMG I feel like my ds just uses me he can be very annoying he constantly is always asking for somethingto snack on or wanting something at the store yes I know this is common for kids his age (9yrs. old) Sometimes when he ask for a Popsicle or whatever I say no no no until finally I give in bc he is getting on my nerves don't get me wrong I do tell him NO! And that is that but lately when I am being nice to him he'll come up with something else later and it starts all over again (Mom can I have ?????) I say no and he gets mad and stomps off then a few minutes later he'll try again I say No until finally he gives up I just wish he would just take my 1st answer. I know he is just testing me but ugh he can be very annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Answer him once. If he asks again "I already answered that, don't ask again" If he asks again give him a consequence. Before you start this sit down with him. Calmly tell him from now on, when you say no it means NO and don't ask again. Let him know if he continues asking he will get a consequence and outline what it will be. He doesn't have to agree or like it..let him know that is the way it is going to be.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma except I don't think the specific consequence has to be spelled out for him in advance. You can come up with several different consequences and keep trying different ones until you find one that makes an impact.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Your saying no to many times. Just say no once then leave it.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• he has figured out that if he keeps bugging you you'll give in .......so say NO once and dont back down just because he is annoying you....i have a 9yr ds and he likes to push buttons too but it never works because he knows i am in charge period.
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• I like GrnEyedGrandma's answer!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Your problem is you GIVE IN and he knows it. Stop GIVING IN. Take charge of the situation. Stand your ground. Who is the parent, you, or him?
    shabbypink123

Answer by shabbypink123 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• maybe he really wants you to talk to him or read or play a game
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 1:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• good luck .. my 12 year old is the same way and has been for a while now. if she doesnt get her way she stomps off to her room or gives everyone the cold shoulder. you let me know if you find something that works... and good luck
    mommydown

Answer by mommydown at 11:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:05 AM on May. 16, 2011