one of those "too good to be true" moments

im sure some of you have seen my posts about my rocky relationship with mil. how she lives 5 miles up the street and never wants to see her grandkids and how it's totally different with her daughter's daughter (her daughter treats her like shit btw, hubby and i have always treated her with respect even after she treated us like crap) who lives 2,000 miles away but she will do anything for.

well lately she's giving my kids the same treatment as her other granddaughter. in the past week we've seen her about 3 or 4 times. she wants to "borrow" my older two for something that she wont' tell me, probably a Christmas project for me and hubby. she's picking up my medicine today so I don't have to drag the kids for one simple errand. she gave me a box of hand me downs, shoes and kid hangers. she's offering to take my 2 year old to get her 2 y/o picture taken professionally. just all kinds of random nice things that are way unexpected of her.

im really happy to have her around again, don't get me wrong. but she gets like this sometimes and then she's back to her uncaring ways. im just afraid this is another one of those times. its like im too scared to get close to her.. for her to just push us away again. how do you relax and just go with the flow when you're only used to the negative?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• she could be mildly bipolar - that is how my mom is - just enjoy her upswings while they last and when the kids are old enough they will know - that is just the way she is...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:43 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Enjoy it while you can, and let her know how much you appreciate what she's been doing. Maybe if you reciprocate, it might continue.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• Acceptance.

If you find a place of deep and genuine respect for her as a person, you will accept that sometimes she's this way and sometimes she's otherwise... just as you expect those close to you to accept that sometimes your good moods shine through and sometimes they get to deal with your bad moods.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:36 PM on Nov. 22, 2010

• enjoy it while you can but tread lightly for a bit!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2010